Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Yvon Durelle

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OP_TheJawBreaker, Oct 12, 2021.

Who wins

1. Durelle TKO

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Saad TKO

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Durelle Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Saad Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Durelle KO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Saad KO

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  7. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Saad, for sure.

Just a way better fighter.

robert ungurean and Tonto62 like this.
  3. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    Tbh, I gave this to Durelle, Saad never met a puncher as hard as him

4. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Why?

5. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    15 rounds,
    Better punching power
    almost equal resilience
    equal amount of heart

Lopez could hurt Saad, why can't him? He's punching power is superior. Saad has to deal with a guy who has more resilient and a harder puncher than Lopez.

6. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    15 rounds isn't an advantage for Durelle, it's a hindrance. He never went 15 in his career, whereas Saad went deep into the championship rounds more than once, and showed he could produce a high workrate, knockout punches and had a style which works on grinding people down if he couldn't take them out with one shot. Going 15 with Saad ruined anything Conteh had left for him.

Saad hit way harder than Durelle and probed it vs a higher class of fighter than Durelle ever did. Durelle wasn't close to being as tough or resilient as Matthew. He stopped three times throughout his prime, none of which were against particularly good fighters. And then he was stopped again twice by an old Archie Moore. A prime Saad would not be stopped by any of those. It's almost guaranteed Durelle wouldn't get up from a shot like the one Saad got up from against Kates.

Saad's heart is far more proven than Durelle's, as are the rest of his intangibles. We're talking about an all-time great vs a fringe contender.

Lopez was also a better fighter than Durelle, and couldn't actually beat Saad in too eerily similar fights. He's tougher than Yvon, more skilled and far more proven at the highest level. Even if he didn't hit as hard (which I have my doubts about), he was still far better and so put Saad into harder situations. Durelle would end up like Mwale, or at best, Pops. He'd get knocked the **** out in the end, he just wasn't as good as Saad, or the men Saad regularly beat.

7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    It's funny, Yvon Durelle vs Merqui Sosa would be one of the best messy fights ever.

8. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    What makes you say Saad hit harder than Durelle? The statement that you make about that Durelle had inferior in heart and resilience is completely outrageous, He fought Moore and I don't know how many gazilion punches right on the button that Moore needed to stop him. And unlike Saad, Durelle went up to HW and challenge a Prime George Chuvalo (not at his best condition) but still put up a good fight, Can Saad do that? And Durelle main asset (his power) is something more than enough to stop Saad (at least IMO), Moore said he is one hardest punchers he ever faced (also claimed that he hits harder than Marciano) he had good one punch power. Now tell me, what is the best puncher Saad faced? the best might be Marvin Johnson, but he still he gets stunned from time to time against non power punchers.

Could be like Bert Cooper vs Evander Holyfield, Who did Cooper beat at the time to convince you that he could put up a war against Holyfield? was his power enough to stop him? at the time no one would've expect him to put up a fight, let alone knock him down. Durelle may be a fringe contender vs ATG but SO WHAT? Bert Cooper still gave Holyfield hell and that's another example of a fight like this.

Even Floyd Patterson credited him on something

His loss against Moore is nothing to be ashamed of, He is like Hopkins and Foreman. Do you discredit Moorer's lose against him? no do you have to discredit Wright's loss against Hopkins? also no. Do you have discredit Holyfield for winning against Foreman? No. Moore possess longevity, he is still devastating despite his age.

I can consider if you think Saad win, but the fact that you see him ending like Lottie Mwale is completely ridiculous (at least IMO)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  9. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Saad stopped
    V Johnson
    M Johnson x2
    Conteh
    Lopez x2
    Mwale
    Kates
    Douglas

Who of any note did Durelle stop?

robert ungurean likes this.
  10. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    This is a h2h fight, p4p achievement could almost mean nothing when it comes to this.

11. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Well Saad is by far the ,more proven fighter any way you look at it.He has great power,good skills ,tremendous determinatinon and durability and he beat a much higher class of opponent.Now make you case for Durelle.What did he ever do except floor an ancient Moore who got up to ko him twice?

robert ungurean and ETM like this.
  12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Just because I'm not saying his heart was as good as Saad's, doesn't mean I'm saying it's bad. Saad is one of the toughest, bravest men to get in a ring. Durrele facing a heavyweight doesn't mean anything. Saad didn't need to move up, he was champion. Furthermore, Durrele did not put up a good fight vs Chuvalo. He got the living **** kicked out of him. I'm 100% positive Saad could've done better than getting stopped and going down five times .

Pops, Gregory, and Dynamite Douglas are probably the hardest Punchers Saad fought, and he took their best well before knocking them out. Billy Douglas is almost exactly what Durrele would be if he fought in that era.

The Bert Cooper analogy is a false equivalency. Cooper did not win, which immediately eliminates it from the argument. Your stance is that Durrele wins... not that Durelle gives him a hard fight. However, Bert Cooper is a far more proven fighter than Durelle, and his reputation is not based off one losing performance. There's plenty of instances of Bert being a good fighter when in shape, in both wins and losses. And giving Saad a hard fight is not something to write home about. Everyone did, it's what made him so appealing to fans. I'd expect nothing less than this to be a great fight, akin to the second Pops fight - as mentioned - but the result would be inevitable.

It's not completely ridiculous to say he goes out like Mwale. If anything, it's likely. He gave Moore a great fight when Moore didn't take him seriously. He got the **** beaten out of him when he did. That version of Moore would get annihilated by Saad. A prime Durrele was dismantled and stopped by Tony Anthony and Yolande Pompey.

Do I discredit Pascal for getting schooled by an old man? Yes. Do I discredit Moorer for getting knocked out by an old man? Yes. Just because a fighter is still a high level fighter at an advanced age, does not mean somebody who loses to them is above criticism. A prime Saad is far closer to a prime Moore than the one Durrele fought.

13. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    Like I said, even though he's ancient, he is still very very capable. It's like saying Holyfield had Foreman hurt and staggered to the ropes and saying that's not impressive. That "ancient" Moore might be more capable than most of Saad's competitors. Yvon even fought Chuvalo, but at the time he was already past his best at the time and was about to quit boxing.

And just like I said above, it's like Holyfield vs Cooper, who did Cooper beat to actually convince us he could beat Holyfield? Bert Cooper does not have ATG power yet he surpassed our expectations and genuinely knockdown Holyfield. With Durelle's knockout power I'm highly confident he could give Saad hell. Do you think a guy who got knocked out by Tim Witherspoon on 1 round went the distance with Tyson?
    Do you think a guy who was stopped by John Tate and Mike Weaver withstand one punch by Shavers? both of these seems no but doesn't it went the other way around.

All I see is both are Hard Punching, Big Heart and Iron Chinned boxers. Who would win? that's it

14. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    I still feel Durelle's power compared to Gregory, Pops and Dynamite Douglas is superior. That's why I gave a big chance against Saad cuz Saad has never fought a guy who could punch like Durelle. I still can't see most likely becoming like Mwale, all I can see is Saad able to put him down by accumulation and Durelle could't beat the count.

idk if Saad could beat that version Moore, the Moore that Durelle fought is like Jersey Joe Walcott who fought Marciano.

15. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I can only imagine Matt landing that left uppercut overhand rt combo. Clean KO

ETM and George Crowcroft like this.