Max Baer replaces Cleveland Williams vs Prime Sonny Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Dec 21, 2017.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Say the best version of Max Baer replaced Williams vs a prime Liston
    This content is protected

How competitive would the fight be and how would it proceed?

2. Combatesdeboxeo_

Combatesdeboxeo_ Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Baer is much more dangerous than Williams And harder puncher.if he catches liston with 2 or 3 right hands it is good night but at the same time liston also could ko baer

Jackomano, louis54, Reason123 and 3 others like this.
  3. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I think Baer killed the most men accidently out of all pro fighters, killed 1 in the ring and one suffered brain damage and ended up dying from a weak jab from Carnera. I' give a power and chin advantage to Baer, but Liston had better skill, better footwork, and has probably the best jab of all time. Liston would slug with sluggers and box with boxers, imagine if williams was slightly more poweful and with a chin of steel, and that's Max Baer. Liston wins by either decision or t.k.o. But i don't think there was a fighter that could beat prime Liston until Ali entered the picture

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that Liston's counter punching would capitalize upon Baer's Defensive flaws, allowing him to break Baer down, and possibly stop him late in the fight.

6. Reason123

Reason123 Not here for the science fiction. Full Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Liston by ko don't know what round though, depends on what frame of mind Baer is in.

7. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Bear in an upset.....he will counter Liston's jab with that big right

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Williams was a far better boxer. Boxing ability generally determines matches, not "power"... And their power, such as that can be measured, was probably the same... and no greater than Liston's.

mrkoolkevin, mcvey and BCS8 like this.
  9. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Power is an incredibly important asset in the sport. Combined with boxing ability it may be the most dangerous and most useful trait.

“My style is power. Power is number one. Everything else is around this.” - Golovkin

Most top ten lists are about at least 50% elite power punchers.

10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    This raw power everyone keeps trying to rate is, itself, extremely overrated. The natural ability to harness power is far more important. A fighter like JJC was not the most natural hard hitter but he ended hitting his opponents the hardest. The true instincts of a fighter, timing, punch selection, knowing when to pressure, how to pressure, how to break an opponent down... that's what leads to victories and KO's, not how high someone scores on a stationary PSI register.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  11. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Yeah, and if both boxers can do that, the one with a mule kick punch is going to be the much better fighter, and the one who can make a run for all timd legacy status.

I’ve seen too many examples where the superior boxer who looks awesome gets clocked out cold with one punch by the uglier and cruder looking boxer. It always looks sad. And I also notice that these fights go under the radar when writers talk about the sweet science. And fans seem to sweep these performances under the rug a bit as well. Coming to terms with why the better looking boxer got knocked out is often an uncomfortable task for sweet science purists.

It doesn’t matter how skilled you are. If your jab barely hurts, one can bring a straight right over it that has concussive power, then you’re at a severe disadvantage. One can walk through your distance. If your power is no threat, one can essentially put a glove on you to keep you still, and launch the other one through your guard. If you land a jab or a light three punch combo, so what? You still have to worry about concussive power for every following attack in the fight.

To defeat an elite power puncher in their prime, you need a spectacular performance. You need to be like in an antique China shop. Everything has to be right, precise, and executed perfectly. For Canelo to draw Golovkin, Ali to beat Foreman, and Schmeling to beat Louis, they had to tip toe around glass. All three of them were facing an inherently uphill battle.

12. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Also, Williams was not the natural boxer and fighter that Baer was, in my opinion.

Baer had a far better sense for the ring, and for the opponent. He had way better reflexes, and he was more powerful.

I think, but I’m not sure, that Baer was faster, had the better jab, and was overall a better boxer.

Not to mince styles, and what makes fighters unique, but I can’t imaine Williams doing stuff like this: https://streamable.com/6xd2f

The combination of awareness, punching technique, head movement, and reflexes makes him seem to be the superior fighter to me.

juppity and louis54 like this.
  13. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Baer needs to keep those hands up if he's going to face sonny Liston

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This. Baer was impressive when guys were fighting him mashed up head to head in the wheelhouse. Braddock on the other hand made him look like a chump by boxing him. I'd probably favour Williams over Baer, nevermind Liston.

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Baer was a sucker for a jab ,that's how Loughran and Braddock beat him.Sonny would knock his teeth out with his.