Max Baer Slams Ezzard Charles and Walcott [1951]

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Apr 17, 2019.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    NEA, “Max Baer Labels Charles as a Good Sparring Partner, Journal Times, June 1, 1951

“Max Baer has no interest in what passes for the current fight game. […]

Asked if he followed boxing any more, Baer replied:

“Naw, and neither does anybody else. I haven’t sat through a fight since 1937, when Joe Louis fought Tommy Farr, and from what I read, hear, and see on television, I haven’t missed a thing.”

“I can’t even name the so-called heavyweight contenders.

Twenty Years Ago

“Ezzard Charles? Twenty years ago he would have been pretty good—a pretty good sparring partner for sped that is. He would have been lost in the shuffle. We had guys like Loughran, Schaaf, Risko, Heeney, Sharkey and Schmeling, and you had to fight ‘em all. I tell you how good a heavyweight champion Charles is. We’ve got a middleweight now who could lick him, fellow named Ray Robinson.

“Here’s another slant on this crop of heavyweights. Way back in 1933, when I was training in Atlantic City for the Max Schmeling fight, Ancil Hoffman and Jack Dempsey threw a sparring partner out of my camp because he couldn’t take a punch. His name was Joe Walcott. Since then, Walcott must have made six comebacks, and actually fought for the title four times.”

2. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I heard that he once bragged to Marciano that he could beat Marciano when they met, i think from "Undefeated" by Mike Stanton

3. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Max Baer said this? The delusions of Grandeur are strong with this one. LOL

4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Well joes chin was def his weakest point. But I must say he did far better and would always do far better against Louis then he did. That being said he was a great personality and def want to read a book on him

5. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Honestly, I think the Louis that fought Baer would do a similar job to Walcott.

6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    In 1933 Walcott was a 19 year old light heavyweight a few fights into his pro career. I wouldn't put too much into a top contender bringing a small, green kid into camp as a sparring partner and spanking him and then using it as an example years later. Jersey Joe learned a thing or two in the ensuing years and if I was picking Max against Joe prime for prime, I think Joe would have counter-punched Maxie into knots.

7. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    I know, right?

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Same old cycle.

Pat M likes this.
  9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    That's not nostalgia. Just downright disrespectful to Charles.

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Interesting that they sparred.I didn't know that.

11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think he's wrong about Ezzard Charles (ie. he's wrong to say Robinson couldn't beat him) but he was probably telling the truth about Walcott.
    And, yes, Baer's era was a bit stronger than the era he was speaking in.

Walcott's record speaks for itself. In his prime he was a second-rater who promoters didn't need. He couldn't get past Al Ettore and Abe Simon.
    Only when WW2 depleted the heavyweight ranks was Walcott able to rise to contendership.
    And it took him 5 attempts to win the crown (although, to be fair, he probably deserved to nick the title on his 1st attempt).

12. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    It seems to be par for the course that past champs denigrate present ones Dempsey did it to Marciano prior to the Moore fight.

2piece likes this.
  13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, it's more common than not.

2piece likes this.
  14. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    I think Walcott would have posed greater stylistic difficulties for even a young Louis than a crude slugger like Baer did.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  15. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Jersey Joe at his best was a much more compete fighter than Max. Don't even get me started on how good Charles was.

mcvey likes this.