Max Baer V Joe Bugner?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Feb 16, 2020.

Who takes it?

1. Max Baer?

50.0%
  2. Joe Bugner?

50.0%
  1. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Max lands a hard shot early and Bugner goes into his prevent defense. That defense of his where he was 90% defense and 10 % offense.

Come to think of it, Max does not even have to land that big shot. Just throw it and it will get Bugner's attention and he backs off any sort of offense and just covers up. He'll get intimidated and then automatically go into one of his happy to be here and get a payday type performances while losing a lopsided decision.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    How many times was Baer at his best? Twice? I'll go with Bugner via UD.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  3. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I am going with Bugner by UD. He was quite durable and the better boxer

4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Baer had a long stretch before he was champ at his best...unfortunately like many other champs he preferred partying over training especially after he won the belt

5. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    When Max was in shape he was a tough cookie- tremendous power and a solid chin- Bugner survived Frazier and Ali but Max killed Frankie and Campbell and most feel he did the damage to Earnie Schaaf that caused his ultimate death - Max was erratic and not always in the best mindset but when he was he would beat Bugner and hurt him badly - Could Bugner survive? possibly but not win. A not prepared Max was a different story.

both men in top form- I like Max by a KO

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    "Meanwhile, there remained some discrepancy over the exact cause of death: some medical experts saying it was caused by injuries received during this bout; others that Shaaf already had some tumor, cyst, lesion or old injury of the brain which contributed to his death. In fact, Schaaf had suffered a bout of influenza leading up to the fight and was in a weakened state."
    Baer was permitted at least 6 free shots at Campbell who had beaten nobody of any status.
    Levinsky went the 20 rd distance with Baer and the ten rds distance in another fight,I see no reason why Bugner couldn't at least emulate that.

7. Bummy Davis

Aug 26, 2004

Bugner got off the floor and survived Frazier and stayed the distance with Ali he could also possibly survive Baer but could he beat Baer ? When Max was in top form he was dangerous - He clobbered Carnera and destroyed Max Schmeling - I think Big targets like Bugner would be right in his lane.

Bugner was good but IMO both men at their best I think Max tees off on him, at his worst another story. I think the biggest issue with Bugner was he really didn't have the power to scare anyone - he had rare size at the time but didn't have the kind of heavyweight power to deter, nor did he have great speed or movement. . A guy like him under the tutelage of a Manny Stewart type may have really been a force.

Cecil and Reinhardt like this.
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Never been impressed with Baer taking 11 rds to beat Carnera whom I think was a manufactured hype job.
    Baer did not have great accuracy and neither was his speed anything special, he had real power,but Bugner had a great chin,I sat next to Bugner once at ringside ,he is a very big guy.Too many average fighters went the distance with Max for me to have confidence he blasts out Joe and he sure ain't outboxing him.
    I don't think Steward would have appreciably improved Bugner,he was never a natural at the game and disliked it.Flurrying with the left hand and tying up his opponents,he rarely commited himself to an all out attack, his ko of Dunn was probably his best offensive,but Dunn wasn't that durable.
    This could go either way.I've a slight leaning ,very slight ,towards Bugner on points.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Cecil likes this.
  9. Bummy Davis

Aug 26, 2004

sometimes a guy is naturally strong but does not sit down on his punches- Stewart taught Hearns how to put his power behind his punch and use his height just like Charley Goldman taught Marciano how to use his shortness-(get shorter ) and punch in bunches - use your rhythm breaking awkwardness to break rhythm - Bugner as he was didn't really have a impressive offense for a man his size. I agree with you that Dunn may have been his best fight and also that Dunn was not durable.

My opinion of Baer may differ from yours- I see the unreliable version which had no focus and the other side of him that was a murderous puncher - also a strong big man - I guess it depends on which guy shows up

Cecil likes this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Strength does not equate to power ,Henry Cooper a small guy had a great left hook Bugner could never be taught that,he could maximise what he had , but he'd never be a banger.I'm of the opinion that barring a very very few anomalies,punchers are born not made. An astute trainer may be able to release that latent power as Steward did with Hearns,but I think it's got to be there from the start.Guys like Greb who was never still ,or Ali up on his toes ,could increase the effectiveness of their punchers by planting their feet andsitting down on their shots,but Greb would never have been a Ketchel for power and Ali would never have been a Shavers,imo.
    That's the fly in the ointment as far as Maxie was concerned.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    An Ali with Shavers type power would be unstoppable by all but the gods.

mcvey likes this.
  12. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Bugner simply never showed the mindset, the desire or the initiative of a great fighter...he disappointed me over and over and over again with his timid, lukewarm, tentative approach to his profession. Baer would have slaughtered him.

Bummy Davis likes this.
  13. Bummy Davis

Aug 26, 2004
    I agree for the most part- some guys are just technically flawed or have balance problems - maybe Bugner did not have it in him but there was certainly room for improvement. He was a strong -big guy - fought defensively with some movement - I just think as he was he would have been a big target without firepower to keep Max off- right up Max Baer's lane - Not a cute mover was Bugner-just a mover survivor - He wasn't as bad as a wepner who was really slow and had zero power but also no Gene Tunney or Jimmy Young