Max Baer vs Harry Wills

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by 70sFan865, Jun 21, 2019.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah, Baer looked better in other fights, but this idea that Baer is way stonger than Wills comes from nowhere. Braddock did well with him on the inside, and Wills was known for his strength in the clinch. He fought in an era where you couldn't really be a professional heavyweight and have a tenth of his success without being really good on the inside.

Aspects of Wills game were not unlike those of Braddocks, only Wills record indicates he was way, way better at them. If the Baer fight is excluded from an analysis of this contest, i'm fine with that, but I sure as **** don't want to hear another word about Uzcudun or Sharkey.

2. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    You think he put forth the same effort against Braddock as he did Schmeling?

What do you make of all of grinning and smiling with little to no punching. That looks like a maximum effort Baer to you?

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Wills gets an absurd amount of revisionism to me .. the guy was a dominant force with big , decisive wins over serious opposition for many years ..
    Who's responsible for that ? If the guy could not get it together to defend his title then he's missing an essential component in his DNA as a fighter.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  4. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I've never said that Baer was way stronger than Wills. Based on how he handled Firpo in the clinches, I wouldn't call any HW clearly stronger than him. My point is that he wouldn't maul Baer because Maxie was extremely strong in his own right.

I also disagree that Wills was similar to Braddock - Braddock was decent outside boxer with good right hand and outstanding chin. Wills was bigger with quicker hands and he prefered inside game. He was better defensive fighter but not as durable.

I definitely agree that bringing down Paulino fight is disrespectful to Wills. Harry was past his prime when he beat Firpo, let alone during Paulino and Sharkey bouts.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  5. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Wills rep is boosted big time by his wins over Langford. He beat him12 times
    Langford was 31.33.33.34.34.34.35.35.35.36.37. For 8 of those fights Langford was blind in one eye.
    He beat Jeannette once, Jeannette was 40.
    Wills was a very strong man ,Baer would not dictate terms inside. you mean you don't want to read another word don't you, well close your eyes then!

6. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    He didn't beat a lot of really good contenders during Dempsey's title reign. and he was castigated for it in the press.

7. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    Six,[half,] of Wills wins over Langford are when Sam was 35 to 37 and half blind. His lone win over Jeannette was when Joe was 40 years old,you can't have it both ways.

8. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I don't think it matters that he beat a load of shot fighters, when he has wins over near prime McVea and Langford.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I think Wills wins via UD or TKO, Max always has the punchers chance, but 6 or 7 x out of 10 I go with Wills and at their best I would take wills.

10. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    He brought it against Carnera,Schmeling,Campbell,Levinsky,Comiskey,Foord,Griffiths,Heeney,Schaaf.