Max Baer vs joe frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Grapefruit, Dec 22, 2017.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It is more a question of whether seven years earlier would have reversed the result.

Nova would always have had a stylistic advantage, like Ron Lyle against George Foreman, but Baer was by far the better fighter.

2. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Correcto mundo. ^.

3. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Agreed Foreman was a two handed destroyer who was always looking to end the fight....Baer wasn't people forget it took George 2 rds and 6 kds of beating Frazier to get the ref to stop it

4. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Plus the night he gained the greatest victory ever, Frazier was a 10/10 beast, no cracks or wear appearing at that stage. He would've gave Baer a frightful beating both at their very best. Even if Baer catches and hurts Joe, he soaks it up...This bull**** that he was a one armed fighter is just that, bull****. You don't beat the **** out of Ali with just 1 punch which Frazier is accused of having ! The more I think of this fight, the more i'm convinced Joe gives him a career changing beating !

escudo, Seamus and BlackCloud like this.
  5. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    Frazier stops Baer I honestly can't see another outcome

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Picking Frazier is fine, but saying that you can't see another outcome seems a bit crass.

Baer was almost a stylistic clone of Foreman, and probably hit just as had.

These are serious serious problems for Frazier, however you argue it!

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Frazier via later round TKO. But if Baer was actually motivated, he's got a chance to upset.

The thing is Baer was defensively poor, didn't have much of a jab, and in my opinion clowned around to stay away from the action. That won't work vs. Frazier.

8. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Joe beats him badly. The punch that Joe had problems with against Foreman was his uppercut, a punch that max has never (to my knowledge) used anything resembling consistently. Joe puts a beating on a super tough Baer and stops him in 7.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Seamus likes this.
  9. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    This is not true. Foreman's ring cutting and over all fight IQ was much better than Baer's. And George had arguably the best uppercut in heavyweight history which kept Frazier out of his bobbing defense. http://imgur.com/gallery/ZnjnB He was bigger than Max, stronger than Max and overall a far better fighter than Max IMO.

Nighttrain, Combatesdeboxeo_ and ETM like this.
  10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I don't see this one going very long, Max will get in a brawl with Joe, land some great bombs, wobble Joe ! But Joe ain't going away and stops Max in the 7th or 8th

11. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Baer is too easy to hit his defence was poor and he wasn't particularity accurate. Joe in his prime was hard to hit and relentless he'd stop Bear maybe 6/7th round.

12. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think Frazier would probably win. Probably.

13. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    JOE IN A WAR,THOU MAX COULD TAKE HIM OUT TOO. JANITOR ILIKE YOUR STYLE.YOU CLEAN UP ANY MESS.HAHA NOVA WAS DECENT CONTENDER,MAX WAS SHOT

14. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I do!!

15. BrutalForeman

BrutalForeman Active Member Full Member

May 17, 2014
    Max had an iron jaw and a monster right hand.

When Joe swarms in, he will eat the canvas.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.