Max Schemling Replaces Gene Tunney...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Brian123

Brian123 ESB WORLD CHAMPION Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    That sounds about right to me. Unless Greb stood right in there and traded punches (Max would have most of his crazy power) it would be a dec win imo as well.

2. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Look at how differently Louis fought compared to Dempsey; he took his time and gave the calculating Schmeling more time to get the beating of him. Dempsey was on you and constantly after you.

Schmeling's right hand was a corker, and if sunk into Dempsey at the right time, could topple him good, but Schmeling was a boxer; a thinking fighter who would be forced to fight rough. Dempsey would not allow him to dictate matters with his range finders.

There's a good argument that Schmleing would eat up some of the less euipped come-forward fighters, but Dempsey was Dempsey - he had more layers to his game; fought well when hurt and was a terror on the inside.

Schmeling would box Dempsey and that is were the problems would start as Jack piled into the less physical counter-puncher.

3. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Tunney would have found Schmeling to be his toughest opponent. I believe that he would have eked out a decision victory nonetheless, as Sharkey was able to keep it close with Max, and I feel Tunney was superior to Sharkey. Tunney would have beaten Sharkey too, also by decision, stopped Primo Carnera, basically because Gene could box at least as well as Tommy Loughran, who lost to Carnera largely because of the size disparity, and could hit much harder than Tommy as well. Tunney would have given Max Baer a boxing lesson without any trouble, and Gene would have been too much, too clever, too everything for Jim Braddock.

4. Loewe

Loewe internet hero Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I think you overrate Tunney a bit but that´s not what I wanted to say. this thread is not about Schmeling vs Tunney but about Schmeling fighting Dempsey and Greb when Tunney faced them.

5. Loewe

Jul 15, 2008
    You would be right if this would have been prime Jack Dempsey but this wasn´t prime Dempsey but the past prime version Tunney fought.

6. pugilist_boyd

pugilist_boyd BUSTED UP PUG Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    max would not run from dempsey therefore jack would ko him within 4 or 5 greb takes a dec. over max unless max gets lucky and catches him real good

7. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I understand that, and I think in tangents sometimes. You understand, sometimes you must think "outside the box." Just for the record, I don't believe that Schmeling was ready for Dempsey, even an over the hill version of Dempsey, but may possibly have had the fire power to deal with Greb, as Max had more power than Tunney. As for overrating Tunney, I think quite the opposite is true, due to modern day revisionism. Though I believe that Schmeling was better than Sharkey, and definetely more dangerous with that right hand counter punching sytle of his, his style wasn't as right to beat Dempsey as was Tunney's or Sharkey's. Sharkey emulated Tunney somewhat in his fast, hit and run tactics but he fell short of Tunney in that he was not as disciplined and focused. Sharkey fought with his emotions, while Tunney fought more cerebrally, staying cool at all times. Dempsey showed both against Tunney and Sharkey in those 7th round episodes against them that once they lapsed in their styles and stopped boxing and moving how dangerous he could be. Schmeling, as clever as he was, was more stationary than Tunney and Sharkey, and Dempsey was still explosive enough to capitalize on an opportunity.

8. Loewe

Jul 15, 2008
    Well, yeah Schmeling has a different style than both Tunney and Sharkey but he also was as much a scientific figher as Tunney and Dempsey as good as he still was was very beatable then. I just think Schmeling would time him with his right while he would be able to survive long enough to make this count - a prime Schmeling not the one who really fought 1927.