Max Schmeling vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Aug 10, 2019.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Joe for me ,though he may get shook up a couple of times along the way.
    I'm not convinced that Max hit appreciably harder than Jimmy Ellis .

Fergy and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Not a good style for Max, he likes to have time and space to operate and counter. I think that Frazier would be too agressive for him. Very tough battle but I'm on Frazier side here, even though I prefer Schmeling as a fighter.

4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I just see Frazier swarming Max , taking away the chance for him to settle in to a pattern . Tho he'd cap Frazier coming in and cleanly at times but without sufficient power to really stop him advancing . And Frazier s relentless March and that deadly left eventually drops Max .
    A bad fight for Schmeling , one where he'd be bravely hanging in whilst getting smashed .

5. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Max in his prime was technically very astute. Astute enough to nullify Joe’s hook and counter with his own right which was a potent weapon.

6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Schmeling blew hot and cold whereas Frazier was very consistent. I'd have to pick Frazier with the caveat that when Schmeling was on form, he could probably beat anybody within spitting range of his weight.

7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think chin, size and brute strength are the only ways to nullify Joe's left hook.

cross_trainer likes this.
  8. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Boxing is a very technical sport. There are very clear ways to nullify, or at least make much less effective, a left hook especially knowing you have nothing to fear from the right side. Schmeling certainly had the technical know how and the physical attributes, to do so.

9. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Frazier dominates; puts an absolute beating on Max Schmeling.

10. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Frazier is a strong pick for me. Styles make fights and I think Frazier has a nightmare style for Max. I think Max spends most of the fight backing up or against the ropes.

11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I say that Frazier stops him....Schmeling may or may not score a knockdown as I'm sure he would catch Joe coming in a time or 2, but ultimately, I say that Frazier prevails VIA TKO

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I would go with the relentless Frazier that would never quit, unless his corner called a fight for him, that hook would eventually catch up to Schmeling, I wish tunny had stuck around to defend his title vs max it would have answered a lot of questions about both, Max was an excellent fighter, but Frazier's Powerful left crushes him

13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Max was a superb fighter with a great killer instinct. Joe was a great fighter who if your name isnt George Foreman your in for the fight of your life. I have Joe by stoppage sometime around the 6th or 7th