Max Schmeling vs. these Heavyweights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GOAT Primo Carnera, Nov 18, 2018.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I think he stands a fair chance to beat any of them...or lose to any of them. To fight them in a successive gauntlet seems unfair for anyone in history...just giving a glance I would pick him to win 8 and lose 7 in a one off fight...don’t care to share who, because I don’t care deeply enough to debate it.

2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    He could possibly beat Charles, Walcott, Patterson, Lyle, Cooney, Berbick, Morrison, McCall, Briggs ... maybe Thomas if he outworks him ..

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    With all others ar their bests, I can't see him beating any of them.

The smaller guys on the list are great technicians and the the bigger guys who aren't as good are still simply too big and hit too hard.

If Max Baer beats you from pillar to post, you're gonna have trouble with any of the guys on that list.

Pat M likes this.
  4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Ezzard Charles (1950) Charles wins a close competitive decision. He still had some speed and sharpness in his punches as evidenced by how much he marked up Joe's face.

Joe Walcott (1951) hard to say. Walcott could be badly hurt by right hands and schmeling had plenty of them. I wanna lean toward walcott but I notice you're picking tne 1951 version and he didnt do so great against Charles in their first fight that year so anything is possible.

Floyd Patterson (1960) it would be an all out war, both men hit the deck and have an electrifying chess match brawl. Patterson eventually wins a late round ko.

Ron Lyle (1976) Lyle had the tools to win, but this was a horrible year for him. If he just said screw it and brawled with scheming the way he did foreman, schmeling is stopped in the first 2 rounds. Otherwise, schhmeling outboxes Lyle for a split decision.

Gerry Cooney (1982) Cooney trails on the scorecards and is befuddled by schmelings ring iq but eventually lands that big hook and stops schmeling late.

Tim Witherspoon (1983) witherspoon boxes circles around him. Too fast, cagey and athletic. Schmeling never faced a modern outboxer like this and wouldn't know what to do. Maybe if he fought walcott or conn we'd have a better idea.

Pinklon Thomas (1984) Thomas stops schmeling around the 8th in an exciting war.

Trevor Berbick (1986) berbick was garbage and threw obvious shots. Schmeling decisoons him.

Frank Bruno (1989) bruno kos schmeling in 4. Just too big and strong, he had like 30 lbs over him and good power along with decent skill.

Tommy Morrison (1991) other than getting blasted out by Mercer, tommy had a good year and was on a ko streak stopping a few decent names like Thomas and tillis. I dont see schmeling survivng this onslaught, and he lacked mercers chin and power to crack Tommy's shakey chin he'd need several rounds to pull that off. Tommy by ko in the first 2.

Oliver McCall (1994) mccalls granite chin, long reach, veteran experience and patience gives him the win. McCall either by wide ud or mid round ko.

David Tua (1997) tua has a hard time dealing with schmeling's cageyness at first but eventually breaks him down and stops him with a barrage in the 5th.

Ike Ibeabuchi (1997) come on if ike can beat chris Byrd wtf is schmeling gonna do?

Shannon Briggs (1998) 2 possibilities, either briggs lands a homerun punch and blasts schmeling to bits or he gases out and gets an embarrassing boxing lesson. No other possibility.

Luis Ortiz (2018) ortiz would probably drop him with a goddamn jab. This would be painful to watch.

5. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Kudos!
    Since most users here wouldnt even bother posting a single result for more than three opponents. Great work!

I would say the possible chasm on this subject has been maximized!

6. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    The german Max Schmeling, whose resume is studded with random losses in for example the 5th, 17th and 19th fight (among others) and who did a rumble with Middleweight Mickey Walker.
    But I know, beating 192lb Lous after his 22th birthday makes him some sort of hero. That night for example, I would only make Joe Frazier a favorite over him. And maybe Tyson Fury. The rest of them gets KO12.

7. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    What about Ali, Tyson or Foreman losing in their early teens/time frame the same way? I´ve seen Schmeling in top 15 HW-lists. Did you notice that a ton of these losses get swept under table, especially on resumes before the 60s, like they were nothing? Valdes vs Cooney? One resume is all red, one marshed undefeatet into an ATG. Like there´s nothing. Wtf is this?

Okay I take you by word. For now, Oliver McCall is comparable to Schmeling, without the beard. Both lost early, beat an young ATG, lost the rematch, won a title and did something in between.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    I get your point. They often had more figths as well, but a ton of them against like 0-3-1 kind of guys, even later in the career. However, the highest grade in boxing, aka "top 20 HW material" has to be about not losing. Particularly no random to losses to anybody guys! Regarding Liston, the Marty Marshall debate goes up and down, and he´s outside the top 10 more often than inside imho. Plus this was a SD loss, no KO1 Schmeling material!

Schmeling lost to

1. 0-0-1
    2. 36-23-15 (will end 50% chance of losing any fight)
    3. 21-7-2 Which is fine for 14-2-2

Fourth convincing KO1 loss came to 70-22-10, after he was already LHW champion....

Add the amount he was KO´d and got hurt, there´s absolutely no justification for this

It contradicts any kind of logic or common sense.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    And he was being outboxed in their 1st fight.

10. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The Schmeling who beat Louis...this Max Schmeling,...
    This content is protected
    ...would beat any of them.

robert ungurean likes this.
  11. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008

LOL, say what ?

Max was 21 when he turned Pro........that aint no teenager.

Second, if you get beat by a no defense swinging from the fences telegraph style big guy(in his day) then you aint got a prayer against the vast majority on that list of the thread starter................just for starters Cooney is severely more skilled as Baer and IMO hits easy as hard , probably harder.....................plus Schmeling never ever fought skilled modern Heavies, ever........there is not ONE bum on that list........if mccall can take flush right hands from Lewis with his guard down then he would not even be concerned with anything coming back from Schmeling and simple do the same as he did on Oleg.......

mrkoolkevin and Pat M like this.
  12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I thought he was 19....he was born in 1905 and turned pro in 1924

13. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I thought he won a Amateur title in 24......so he was no Pro then............to the best of my knowledge he was 21 or close to it when he turned Pro, gladly be corrected if I am wrong

14. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    The way Max did? What is this? Shall I name you the fighters on that list without 3 random losses inside 20 fights and no ranodm loss after beeing young, but still matured?

Ezzard Charles
    This content is protected

Floyd Patterson
    Ron Lyle
    Gerry Cooney
    Tim Witherspoon
    Pinklon Thomas
    Trevor Berbick
    Frank Bruno
    Tommy Morrison
    Oliver McCall (Third loss Buster, fourth Norris)
    David Tua
    Ike Ibeabuchi
    Shannon Briggs
    Luis Ortiz

Surprise! One fighter on this list. What about the view of upcoming prospects, losing amateur fights to bums too?

Schmeling showed he could be knocked out or hurt without much problem. A fighter who started as a LH, has been pared against a bunch of fighters, someone wouldn´t even pick LL, Louis, Marciano or WK beat without picking up a loss.

Where does this braindead confidence come from, he would go undefeatet in there? I can tell you: These Modern vs. Old Fantasy "evaluations" have become a phantom discussion. I knew Janitor, Jacko or Mario make their shitty recurring picks to do their seal, but in this case, I have another assumption.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  15. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Agree with most of this.

George Crowcroft likes this.