Maxine Dempsey Alive in 1928?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, May 26, 2016.

1. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011

It was interesting reading all the good research you did.

I personally don't quite understand the venom on this thread as to me none of this reflects badly on Dempsey.

He and Maxine had moved on with their lives.

Dempsey might simply have thought she died in a fire in 1924,

or he repeated that story because she wanted him to--I imagine she didn't want to be known as a famous ex-prostitute. If so, it speaks well of him.

The 1928 thing seems odd, but I was thinking that this might have possibly have been another woman hoping to extort money from a famous man.

It would be interesting if anyone has any info about how that incident ended up.

Anyway. Good work.

choklab likes this.
  2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    This is the point below.
    "So, to get to a deeper point lurking below this story and one very protean to the integrity of Dempsey's record, is anyone so gullible as to believe that Kearns and Spellman showed up at the Continental Hotel to meet Maxine and did not pay her off?

Are people that gullible?

And what was her trump card beyond the legendary letters? And why was Jack so enraged as to break her jaw (something he admits, so don't blame me for bearing the news.)? "

Seamus

3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Good work indeed, and not only factual ,but without an agenda to drive it!

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No we aren't gullible,we see you for exactly what you are.

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You've stated loads that hasn't been proved and that's a stone fact!

1. "Dempsey admitted to breaking his wifes jaw"
    2. "Dempsey was employed as a *wh*re- master to break in young girls in white slaver brothels".
    3.Dempsey's manager paid off Maxine.
    Are just 3 of your unverified and unproven attempts at libelling Dempsey .
    Shameful character assassinating of a dead man who cannot defend himself .

"Shameus" You F*cking Stink!

6. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Seamus can't use fight films to prove his point, so he moved onto death certificates.

7. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    If you read the article this was before they ever sparred and he was determined to spar with him to help over come the fear .. either way I believe he meant what he felt Dempsey was capable of beyond the M of Q rules ..

8. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    HEG, you have to understand many alts & the GOL's, they dksab since he is clueless when it comes to understanding fighters so of course he comes up with clueless remarks.

9. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    :good

10. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Thanks Dempsey1234 and mcvey.

I am a huge fan historic accuracy. I like to see things for what they are , as well as for what they were. Knowing the real story always proves to be more interesting.
    However, in this case I am not seeing any probative value of the determination that Maxine died later than believed. The fact that Doc Kearns may of attempted to pay off someone who would sully his cash cows reputation does not lead me to assume that she was saying was true. It could just as well have been that they were simply attempting to silence someone financially motivated to lie. I also would not place much value one way or the other on the choices that a 20 year old iterrent brawler made regarding matrimony. Certainly many who were much more experienced made their own mistakes.

11. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010

http://38.media.tumblr.com/4156c7abe5f4e4414181f74bc25eabae/tumblr_mjnzg2b5Gs1rt6mq9o1_400.gif

12. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    can we have the source for this tidbit?

13. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    That's a quote from a Seamus post. Which, by definition, is nonsense.

choklab and mcvey like this.
  14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    It’s an often repeated line..I would love to know where it came from originally.

I’m reading “in the Ring with Jack Dempsey” and so far have not reached that part.