Maybe not the strongest HW division ever, but...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Lith, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Lith

Lith Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2010
    It really isn't really THAT weak - I remember so many times over the last 30 years people have complained about a weak division aside from the top 2/3 (much of Klitschko's reign that was said)... the grass always seems greener when you look at the times of ATGs.

That part may be debatable, which is fine - but what I think we really should actually be happy about is that for DECADES now there have been complaints that the top active fighters aren't facing each other enough.... well ignoring everything that has happened in a relatively interesting year, look at what we have coming before the end of the year:

Anthony Joshua vs Carlos Takam
    Deontay Wilder vs Bermaine Stiverne
    David Haye vs Tony Bellew
    Jarrell Miller vs Mariusz Wach
    Dominic Breazeale vs Eric Molina
    Dillian Whyte vs Robert Helenius
    Dereck Chisora vs Agit Kabayel

Alexander Povetkin is pencilled in to fight in December against a TBA, Joseph Parker's handlers are making noises that he will have his next defense announced by the end of this month and Lucas Browne vs Sergey Kuzmin is expected to be also officially announced to happen in December.

These may not be the greatest fights we'd all want to watch but they are all pretty interesting match ups. We have only 10 weekends left this year and we've pretty much guaranteed to see over half of the top 30 ranked heavyweights fight in that time - and all of those fights are between each other.

How often does that happen?

Mynydd, Daddy, Beyonce Wilder and 6 others like this.
  2. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Good point, good post.

3. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    It is a weak division though.Of those matchups, I can't say any of them hold much appeal. Bellow vs Haye is probably the best of a bad bunch even though both fighters are not major players in the overall picture of the division.

4. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Just a shame that we can longer talk about Tyson Fury v Joshua,Hughie Fury stepped up and ran,Parker hasn't really kicked on,Ortiz gone and Deontay Wilder just does what he's always done in taking on fights that have him 80/20 to win with no risk or reward making a mockery of the glamour division and prize fighting,Wilder v Stiverne 2 is just the strangest rematch I've ever seen given Stiverne fought once after his defeat to Wilder and went life n death with Rossey.
    On a plus note I reckon Daniel Dubois if brought on right could get in the mix and stay there.
    AJ could find himself with no opponents soon if this carries on,id

5. Lith

Lith Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Isn't Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua one of the big possible fights for 2018? Team Fury and Hearn have apparently confirmed discussions already

Phelps-Brady likes this.
  6. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    It's a pity the two best older guys by far, Ortiz and Povetkin, can't get a title fight from Wilder. I don't see Fury fighting again at the same level, if he comes back vs Joshua he will be knocked out in the style of Douglas vs Holyfield.

Odins beard likes this.
  7. OpinionOfACasual

OpinionOfACasual Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 3, 2017
    Is it really a pity though?

If you cheat, you don't deserve a world title shot imo....Especially when you get busted twice like Ortiz.

Wilder is still killing off the division.....the Americans should be embarrassed with him.

8. Phelps-Brady

Phelps-Brady Slicker than Raspberry ripple banned Full Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Followed by:

I think you citing a Breazeale v Molina fight answer's any era question's here :lol:

It's atrocious!!!

Joshua's reigning over a waste land! Only real comp he had was Fury! Who turned into a tugboat! Up your standards bro.. At least most of Wlads opposition was young!!! Undefeated/very few losses!!! Prime etc...

Jennings, Povetkin, Haye, Chisora, Wach, Takam....

They're all K2/Povetkin era fighter's or there sloppy castoffs!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    gdm, Beyonce Wilder and Odins beard like this.
  9. Phelps-Brady

Phelps-Brady Slicker than Raspberry ripple banned Full Member

Aug 24, 2017
    What has Stiverne done to work his way back into a title shot against the same man again????

Odins beard likes this.
  10. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Amazingly alot of the guys claiming Wlad ruled a weak era are the same guys trying to claim this era as being better.....knew it would happen.

This era isn't that good at all.

11. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Not sure its much better or worse than the previous eras but all I can say is I enjoy the division right now.

Lith and Howitzer1888 like this.
  12. Southpawswitch

Southpawswitch Active Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2011
    This era has Wilder, which automatically makes it stronger than any era before it. :beer-toast1:

13. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Ain't gonna happen.

14. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    It's a more competitive division than Wlad's era but I don't think it's significantly better or at least it hasn't proven itself to be any better. We do have more prospects and contenders facing off than before but that doesn't mean they are any better fighters. And yes there is far more attention on the division now that Joshua has captured people imagination but once again that doesn't mean the division has any more depth than before.

It's a division in transition after a long reigning champion retired, we still have to see things fully settle. Joshua has so far come out as the man on top after Fury imploded after beating Wlad. Kind of like after Lewis retired, Vitali was seen as the next potential dominant champion but like Fury he was sidelined, though in his case by injury and in the vacuum left by a retiring older champion and the next heir apparent being sidelined we have Joshua and the other belt holders trying to make a name for themselves.

Fact is from the prospects only Joshua has really lived up to the potential expected from him. Parker has stagnated under a poor trainer and small promotional outfit. Wilder has not progressed at all, facing poor opponent after poor opponent. Usyk has had great success but is yet to dip his toe into the heavyweight division.

Hopefully more of the next crop of prospects like Dychko, Yoka, Joyce, Hrgovic, Dubois etc live up to their potential. Then we might see a better, deeper division.

Howitzer1888 likes this.
  15. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    its the fattest HW division ever.

but as we know, fat yields skills.. keep eating your pies, my bald potbellied scabby, greying,bloodshot cheeked keyboard warrior buddies.