Mayweather-Hatton with a different ref.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, May 19, 2022.

1. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017

2. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    He did be an old zoo those are facts. Hatton had a great career but zoo was old. Not only that when pbf beat Hatton he was undefeated and a top 5 p4p fighter so it was a great win.

3. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    It was the Hatton camp who had said he wasn't ready for Floyd when Floyd was at super lightweight. Mayweather then went up to welter before becoming a PPV hit with De La Hoya. When the Hatton camp decided they were ready to fight, the onus wasn't on Mayweather to move down to make it happen. (Pacquiao chose to, because he wanted that 140 lb distinction he'd jumped over when he went after Oscar.)

Hatton and Floyd were both on the smaller side of welter, the weight was a non-factor in that bout beyond shot-calling.

Pimp C likes this.
  4. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Nah that's just spin. You just flat out discredited Mayweathers win against Hatton by criticising Hatton best win.

And also, context, it was a cherrypick as I have detailed and as you have failed to debunk.

5. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Nope you can do that for every fighter if you want to. You can criticize their best win

6. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    No, people can fairly criticise a fighters best win. Otherwise you are just giving undue credit out like skittles.

The fact is, Hattons best win is an aged past best inactive Tszyu. In the 3 years prior to fighting Hatton, Tszyu had only 9 rounds in the ring. Hatton fouled Tzsyu countless times and really would have been deducted several points if the ref actually enforced the boxing rules. Tszyu retired after Hatton.

How is this not relevant context? This just demonstrates how poor of resume Hatton in the first place has.

You are just seeing names on a resume, and saying. "oh wow he's good", rather than actually looking behind the surface level details

Clinton likes this.
  7. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Hatton isn't an atg but he's a hof level fighter. I never hyped him up he was in fact undefeated and top 5 p4p when pbf beat him those are facts. What's also fact is that back then on this forum you had tons of people here who picked Hatton to destroy pbf.

Ducklerr likes this.
  8. EJDiaZ

EJDiaZ Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Floyd still wins TKO late 11 or 12

9. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Same result

Better question, how would Hatton v Tszyu have went down with a different ref etc

Clinton and Robney like this.
  10. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I think it would have been an UD for Floyd, as I guess you mean an impartial ref?
    Floyd was just better and Hatton wasn't really fighting according to the rulebook.
    But like @AdamT mentioned, what about Hatton vs Tszyu with an impartial referee?

AdamT likes this.
  11. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
  12. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I like Ricky, but I have thrown this up a few times
    He got no favours with Cortez, but he got plenty that night in Manchester back in 05

Karma is a *****

Clinton and Robney like this.
  13. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Floyd was beating Hatton at his own game, so I don't think the result would have been much different without Cortez.

Pimp C likes this.
  14. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    It's not a drag up if Hatton want the 147 belt. So in your opinion Mayweather should have dropped to 140 to defend the 147 belt? The fight happening at 147 is not a reason to critisize Mayweather.

Pimp C likes this.
  15. The Clan

The Clan Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Cortez allowed Mayweather to get away with cheating all night
    Ducking bellow the waistline, putting his head through the ropes but worst of all he persistently used the elbow in Hattons face in almost every single clinch while Cortez watched on.

Mayweather probably would have won either way but we’ll never know and the fight we did get to see was marred by the antics of Floyd and the one eyed incompetence and cheating of Cortez

Finkel likes this.