Mayweather Promotions Protects Their Boxers

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Uppercut_Artist, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Uppercut_Artist

Uppercut_Artist Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2015
    I was really impressed how the doctors did detailed examinations of the fighters when they got hurt and were taking a beating.
    I have never seen this before where the doctors took extended time before and after the rounds to ensure the boxers were impaired leaving them open for serious damage.
    Mayweather wants to make money as a promoters, but shows that he really cares about the boxers he promotes, as well as their opponents.

Hopefully, other promoters will start doing the same and serious injuries are avoided.

2. FuMaster

FuMaster Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Is that Mayweather or NYAC? The ref was going out of his way to make sure DeGale was coherent. I found it odd the ref made DeGale do more than "come to me" but I agree it's better for the safety of the fighter.

3. moparfan

moparfan ESB's glass jawed fraud Full Member

Jul 13, 2012

You've never seen it before...??? Ask Kostya Tszyu how he feels about TKO-ing Leonardo Mas, only to have the referee (Joe Cortez) and the doctor agree that the fight should be stopped on a bogus foul...!!!

Mas supposedly suffered a dislocated jaw with about 3 seconds to go in the 1st round; rolling around on the canvas claiming he couldn't continue...mind you, Mas had already been knocked down early in the fight...!!!

The bogus DRAW on Tszyu's record should read as a KO-1...!!!

4. Uppercut_Artist

Sep 22, 2015
    The ref and doctors didn't stop any fight, but they took time out to do some tests to ensure the boxer was OK.
    I remember in the RBR when it happened some people got real upset stating that it was giving the affected boxer time to recoup. Perhaps it did, and maybe the time allowed the boxer to not get so damaged that he ended up in a coma or worst.
    Yes, I have never seen that done before so professionally and timely for the fighter's health benefit.
    Good move by Mayweather Promotions to ensure no terrible accidents happened during their watch.

5. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Slightly off topic I thought Degale took a proper beating in that last round and he proved he was a tough SOB, he was a combination away from getting stopped.

nickpoppunk likes this.
  6. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    This thread reeks of fanboyism

Likely lad likes this.
  7. Uppercut_Artist

Sep 22, 2015
    Based on the state of his face the bout could have been stopped, but the doctors took a good look at determined he was ok to continue.
    With that face he WON a draw.

8. Uppercut_Artist

Sep 22, 2015
    How many boxers in coma occurred last year in the UK?
    You think the UK (Hearn) will start deploying these same in-fight medical evaluations?

9. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Well I suppose in Mayweather you have someone who has only just come out the fight game and understands more than anyone about what they go through as boxers,still amazing that Floyd never getter dropped in his career albeit he once took a knee?

10. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    Yeah, but it's not negative and it's not a lie.

11. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Floyd says not fight against Loma soon for Davis, so yeah, protecting is right.

12. Uppercut_Artist

Sep 22, 2015
    I could be expressed more as NURTURING, versus Protection.

13. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I know. I was just taking the p*ss a little. He's 22, has only what, 18 fights? With that being said, I don't like guys winning titles and then acting like they can still play the role of prospect, taking lighter touches. The way I see it, if you win a title, there's no reason to fight guys who are not at the least, top 5 contenders.

14. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Might as well make them use 16 oz gloves, and head gear.

Likely lad likes this.
  15. Likely lad

Likely lad Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 2, 2017
    The two guys who got hurt weren't on yearn show and what sicko brings up something like this to make a point?

Ffs you will be the one crying about British stoppages but then complain about this?

Not there fault British fighters have iron jaws and can take a lot more punishment than Americans. It works against them sometimes