Mayweather versus Ortiz was that a DQ

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by natedog, Jul 29, 2019.

Was that a DQ?

1. DQ

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. No DQ

65 vote(s)
    73.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. natedog

natedog Active Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Was that a DQ?

pacas likes this.
  2. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    100 % yes at no time did Cortez say Box on & he knows it. Was a cowardly move by FlIVd fully deserved a DQ.
    Before you attack me just think. If the roles were reversed & Ortiz Cold cocked Floyd do you think for one minute Cortez would have counted Floyd out ?? C'mon get real

3. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Can this poll be changed so we can all see who voted what on this ?

4. LeftRightDownThePipe

LeftRightDownThePipe Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Floyd should have been disqualified.

iii and pacas like this.
  5. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Nope, cortez signalled them to fight and Floyd knocked his screws loose. Ortiz wanted to keep hugging and kissing. Protect yourself at all times.

Floyd knocked the **** out of him

6. gerryb

gerryb Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    i recall Ortiz was the one throwing the headbutts

7. Sphillips

Sphillips Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2017
    No.

Ortiz was the one breaking the rules.

Barrera, Pimp C, Oneirokritis and 3 others like this.
  8. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    It was poor refereeing from Cortez. He was standing there looking distracted like he had no clue what was going on. It was very bold of Floyd to throw a punch there, but it's hard to feel too much sympathy for Ortiz with the blatant headbutt he landed on Floyd in the corner. And the way Ortiz tried to hug Floyd repeatedly after headbutting him like that was bizarre. The whole sequence looked poorly acted.

9. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Cortez said let's go and motioned for them to resume like he had in previous breaks.
    But did take his eyes off them and appeared confused.

I don't think Ortiz noticed that though. He just assumed he could keep trying to kiss and make up with Floyd.

George Crowcroft, rinsj and Badbot like this.
  10. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Well said, he did appear to signal for them to fight, but then became distracted and was looking outside the ring. Cortez taking his eyes off the fighters caused confusion and Ortiz was so preoccupied with trying to kiss and make up with Floyd, and looking at Cortez for guidance Floyd took advantage of the situation with that punch from out of nowhere. Do you know what Cortez was looking at by the way, what distracted him?

Badbot likes this.
  11. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Perhaps the timekeeper??
    I haven't watched it in years. Just recall a lot of debate over it.

Nonito Smoak likes this.
  12. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Ortiz got what he deserved.
    Such a blatant headbutt deserved a DQ on it's own. Especially considering Ortiz had been warned beforehand, yet he still committed the foul.
    This content is protected

And Cortez did say "lets go" while waving them both in.

13. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Yeah he said lets go then inexplicably started staring at I guess it was the timekeeper as the fighters were coming together. He pointed at the time keeper then asked the timekeeper a question AFTER telling the fighters "lets go"? That's horrible refereeing. You don't say "lets go" until you are ready for the fight to resume. Who the **** signals for the fighters to "fight" then starts talking to the timekeeper?

iii and Badbot like this.
  14. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Even if you ignore the "lets go" part, he still waved them on to come together in the center of the ring. Wtf was he expecting would happen?
    Cortez got distracted due to him being such an incompetent little ****.
    There have been plenty of fights where Cortez gets confused.

iii and shadow111 like this.
  15. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    I agree and I can't for the life of me think of what was going through Cortez's mind. Why would he be having a conversation with the timekeeper at that moment? Cortez in my view did the worst thing he could possibly do there : be indecisive. It's a definite referee no-no to say "lets go" then become distracted. He essentially left two fighters who had just come out of a foul situation to their own devices. Maybe the time keeper was signaling something to Cortez, who knows, but in any event Cortez should have been much clearer that the fight had resumed. A half-assed "lets go" while both fighters were in the corner wasn't really a good clear instruction that the fight had resumed to begin with. The "lets go" would naturally be the first step in resuming the fight, the lets go would be like . . . well lets go lets shake hands or whatever, you'd expect that to be followd by a more decisive "Fight" once the two combatants came together.

I mean technically he did say "lets go" which could be interpreted as the fight was resuming but that wasn't clear enough. You bring the fighters together and you make a more assertive signal that the fight is resumed. You had one fighter still trying to kiss and make up with Floyd (lmao) while Floyd thinking that lets go meant the fight was back on, and Floyd was pissed off at Ortiz to begin with for the headbutts. And Floyd said the right thing about being told to protect yourself at all times, but bottom line that sucker punch would not have happened had there been a competent referee in there. I'm not sure how many other times Cortez has had these "spaced out" moments at critical times during fights, but I mean I can say with certainty that the fight would have never ended like this if there was any other ref besides Cortez. I can't see ANY other ref spacing out like that after saying "lets go" like he did. It bothers me to this day what Cortez did there. I'm more mad at him than at Mayweather for throwing the punch. Cortez lost control of the match with how he handled that situation.