Mayweather's walk around weight

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Uncle Oden, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Uncle Oden

Uncle Oden Respect Guzman banned

Feb 7, 2009
    it's right about 150, which is where he fights at. Margarito, for example, walks around probably around 30 pounds north of there. Mosley, I do not know, but he's got to be mid 170s at least. Cotto's got to be around 170.

Marg, Mosley, Cotto don't walk around ridiculously out of shape, like Hatton, that's just what they weigh. They use training techniques to make weight, obviously.

Mayweather is obviously uncomfortable fighting a much naturally bigger guy with real skill. I mean he took on Baldomir, but he doesn't have the skill level. I don't blame him, though. His ZERO is his draw. Without it, he's really diminished in value, as a draw. I do believe, he'll get to a stage in his career, probably too late in it, it's too late already for many people, when he will actually take on a bigger guy. And it sucks as a fan, because you'd love a talent like this to tackle a real challenge.

A loss to Cotto or any of the WW would be nothing to hang your head in shame about. I'd still pick him to beat them all. But, man, Floyd, how your fans would love you to put yourself out there, risk it!

2. catasyou

catasyou Lucian Bute Full Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Mayweather said himself in a video on a beach party last year he walks around 160.
    Mosley never goe sover 165.

3. eze

eze Everybody Know Me Full Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Walk around weight is anything. Hattons walk around weight is near the 190s.

It's all about their fighting weight before and after the weigh in.

Which Margo is roughly 160 when he fights at 147. While Floyd weighs 146-149 when he fights at 147.

4. Arriba

Arriba Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Right on eze. Weight cutting is just a big a skill as the actual fighting itself.

5. eze

Aug 7, 2004
  6. eze

Aug 7, 2004
    What?

7. Arriba

Jun 30, 2007
    Just in how some fighters are able to cut weight and keep weight off better than others. With the elimination of same day weigh ins, it's a much more vital part of the game.

Kind of agreeing with your post and then added some of my own. Ya know a lil extra stuff to it.

8. eze

Aug 7, 2004

Oh I thought you were mocking me. :lol:

If they brought back same day weigh ins I'd be happy.

Weight factors too much into a fight.

The amount of water weight some fighters can cut and still come back strong is amazing.. and they shouldn't be allowed to fight at that weight.

Ala Gatti-Gamche, he put on a near 20lbs after the weigh in.

9. Arriba

Jun 30, 2007
    You? Never :lol:

It's why a lot of athletes balloon up so dramatically once they stop fighting consistently. No need to cut weight + the body already being in an unnatural state = lots of fat gain.

Lest we forget Clottey coming in at 175-ish against Corrales. Sometimes it's dangerous to both fighters.

10. eze

Aug 7, 2004

:lol:

it's just too much.. really need to bring back same day weigh ins. That way, everyone goes up a class or two and fights at a HEALTHY weight.

For Clottey.. the fight took place at 150 and he was fully clothed when they weighed him. And he weighed 170 not 175.

11. nezy37

nezy37 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 13, 2007

Why did they change it and when?

Was it becuase guys where trying to go too low anyway and where risking their health in the ring?

12. eze

Aug 7, 2004
    Im guessing. Don't see any other reason why they would do that.

13. slo100

slo100 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 27, 2007
    bring on the same day way ins.. it's really just a big joke these days. why bother calling the divison a certain weight limit if neither fighter is going to be anywhere near that weight on fight night.

14. Arriba

Jun 30, 2007
    Clottey himself said he weighed in at 175 and begged the guy to say he weighed in at 170.

15. catasyou

catasyou Lucian Bute Full Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Fight was at 149.
    Showtime said he wa s171.
    Never heard of that version of the story.

Btw eze,you still bald my man?Grow some hair dude.