mcCallum Curry was one of the best KO's ever

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TIGEREDGE, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    i actually believe everything there nice post.

as underated as he is he never had his war his masterpiece his career is the masterpiece basicly.where as leonard,duran,hagler,hearns all had a big fight in there primes with everybody watching on tv,on the magazine front the next day..ect

where as leonard was a business man and just worked on his olympic prowess and all american look on him and his 70's black aggresive in your face disgrace style of boxing

hearns for his hieght speed power and being from detroit gave him a fan base and a international calling for his brutal right handed power.and amiable attitude

duran was a national hero and a hero for all south americans big fan base and example would be in the moore fight set in the garden. more people were appluading for him than davey who was a full bred new yorker.brawler with great boxing ability

hagler his solid balls to the wallz attitude who would fight anybody at any time was a hard puncher and a fast mover and had great boxing skills for the old timers.

even guys like jackson who is the hardes puncher p4p was a big attraction,or john mugabi who was an african with a british feel about him hard puncher small and aggresive,norris super quick very aggresive(cant stress this enough lol) and a hard punch to boot.

it was becuase he was so well rounded that he actually didnt get the attention we watched jackson to either ko or get koed same with mugabi and norris.

real shame he didnt get his credit at the time hope we ncover him and shed more light on his accmplishments

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    McCallum wasn't exactly known for taking guys out with one shot either. This KO doesn't say much for Curry's chin at this point of time.

3. Mantequilla

Mantequilla Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    ironic that Herol Graham spent his entire fight against mccallum with his hands down by his waist and stepping straight back like Curry did.

Mike was unable to replicate the Curry ko unfortunately.

4. Calroid

Calroid Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2006
    Herol Graham wasn't so lucky against Julian Jackson though.:bbb

5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

...........I think so too. Much prettier in my opinion. McCallum's shot was great, though.

6. Robbi

Robbi Marvelous Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Curry's against McCrory was not a KO, it was a knockdown. I was going to mention it in my earlier post, but forgot that McCrory pulled himself off the canvas, very unsteadily, to be sent back down with a crashing right hand after Mills Lane gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm presuming everyone is thinking of the spectacular left hook which had McCrory falling to the canvas as if he'd just fell from a plane after sky-diving with a faulty parachute release button. That was the first knockdown, with McCrory landing sideways near the ropes. Probably the most spectacular knockown I've ever seen.

7. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Insightful, intelligent comments. You put really your finger on why SRL evoked such strong negative feelings among fans who desperately wanted Hearns to prevail in their 1981 clash. Remember what Tommy said to conclude the post fight press conference after his first defeat? "Detroit, I will be back!" (To loud cheers and applause.)

8. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    It was "I shall return"...I think.

9. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I was talking out the finishing right hand, I can't speak for the other guys though..

10. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    No, that was Ali after Holmes. (Unless my brain is playing hallucinatory tricks on me.)

11. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yep, it sure is one of the best looking ko's ever. It's a classic example of taking advantage in a split second of an opponents lapse and letting it go. It wasn't necessarily the hardest punch McCallum ever threw but it's probably the best. I've got it on tape (one of the first things I ever recorded off television, and it's such a cool knockout. I've watched it over and over, and am always so impressed by the technique McCallum used. A real classic.

12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Regardless Curry should have been able to take a single left hook off a guy not noted for one punch ko's. It was a bit disappointing to be honest, he was fighting superbly.