Me hitting the pads (video) *UPDATED* double end bag vid

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by slo100, May 13, 2013.

1. carlos200587

carlos200587 Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2010
    nice they look good those gloves

2. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Your form is alright but it looks like you're just going through the motions. Your guard is too wide and you're not driving into the punches. You're just tapping the mitts really. There's no explosive pivot. The drills you're doing are good, but you're not simulating boxing. You're imitating it. (Not that you're trying to, my point isn't to come off as harsh, but you have people on here telling you that you look solid, when you should be trying much harder to actually hit the target. It's all telegraphed arm punches and unrealistically slow slipping/bobbing & weaving.)

As someone else said, you "get it" in terms of the way you're supposed to move and whatnot, which is good. But actually do it. Actually punch like you're in a fight. What you're doing now isn't functional for boxing. I'm not sure what your goals are but reevaluate the way you train. Again, not trying to be harsh, it's great that you're getting out there and are able to do the drills you're doing. Definitely more polished work than the keyboard warriors on here can muster. Best of luck.

3. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. Primarily your right foot.

BTW - listen to Bogo. He KNOWS boxing technique. It's because you're not actually facing opponents that you are unaware of these issues.

Don't think of hitting the pads hard, think of hitting them FAST. (and try to punch through them, as well.) the pivot will help with this tremendously. A punch starts with the legs. Also, a right starts with pulling the left back, and vice-versa. All this is, again, for SPEED. - and speed = power. Imagine that those pads are throwing shots back at you, and try to get there first.

4. slo100

slo100 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Thanks Bogo, I appreciate all constructive criticism, my trainer has been gradually speeding up the return fire in the drills to make the weaving and slipping more realistic but I was pretty gassed by the time we filmed this, at the end of a 2 hour training session so I was fairly lethargic. After watching myself I think I have to lengthen my jab and pivot on my shots as a few people suggested. Regarding the "wide guard", aside from the low left hand, should I be drawing my elbows in closer to my ribs?

5. Bogotazo

Oct 17, 2009
    Oh you have a trainer. In that case then my bad. After so many people posting videos of themselves "boxing" when doing self-training, I've developed a subconscious habit of telling the person their training isn't functional in the ring whenever they don't follow through on their shots. Clearly if you're being taught, then they're going to be bringing you along at a certain pace teaching you certain things.

My recommendation would be to stay on your toes. You pivot on your toes for punching and for shifting your upper body to slip shots. You won't forget to pivot as much if you're on the balls of your feet at all times. This becomes difficult as you tire but make it a habit.

In terms of the guard, your elbows should be tucked in a bit more, and your right hand should be hugging your face more, sometimes it kind of floats out there.

Just keep in mind that you're trying to hurt the person. Throw the shot quick and hard as if in a real fight where you'd need to land and have effect once you do. When starting out, technique is the most important thing, not loading up for power or rushing for speed, but pivoting is part of punching technique, so just practice that. Feet, then hips, then shoulder, then arm. Also, stop cocking each hand. Throw it straight from your face out of the guard, you wiggle each hand a split second before you lead with it.

Hope I could help, good luck, keep on improving.

6. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    Cheers, I noticed the cocking of the jab when watching back. I guess it's a result of having my left hand floating out in a rhythm, then stopping suddenly to pull it back when I want to throw. If I stick it to my face I won't have it bobbing in and out in a rhythm which can be timed.

7. Bogotazo

Oct 17, 2009
    Right.

8. JDK

JDK Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2010
    That last quote Bogotazo highlighted should not be focused on straight forward.
    Timing is a more advanced technique/skill you should focus on later.
    Everything about your pad routine seems incomplete and you would be timed immediately not only by experienced boxers.
    You need to finish every move completely. Think explosiveness.

9. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    Could you please offer an example in context of exactly what you mean by finishing every move completely? You mean like following through on the last punch? Or pivoting off out of harms way at the end of a combination? It's a bit vague

10. Bogotazo

Oct 17, 2009
    I think he means following through on the punch and then bringing it back right away. Not flinging it out and then forgetting it exists once you make contact with the target.

11. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    Alright cool, I guess I am lazy with that.

12. Niall_Tucker94

Niall_Tucker94 New Member Full Member

Sep 24, 2012
    thats good dude :) its good to see people take up boxing for fitness or a confidence booster you have made a really good choice to start a sport like this and hopefully ill see more improvements :) how long are you training

13. 123ko

123ko Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2012
    change your coach if you want to compete,,,if he asnt noticed you stepin with every first punch to your combo's ,you will step onto a punch & get heart ,,,don't let it become a bad habit :think

14. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    123ko, yeah valid observation. As I said I need to lengthen my jab instead of stepping into it every time trying to make it a power jab.

15. therm

therm New Member Full Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I allways think it is me who is the noob here on esb but when i see you guys posting about this kinda pad work movies i feel like a pro.

Sorry but this looks like a total begginer with rather bad coordination. Just by the way you move i can judge how you behave in sparing (panic). Noob pad work thats all. Power, speed, fluidness and everything is just bad or simply on a very begginer level.

Average joes hit like this after a couple months of 2 times a week training