Me hitting the pads (video) *UPDATED* double end bag vid

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by slo100, May 13, 2013.

1. slo100

slo100 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Glad I make you feel good about yourself, keep up the good work champ!

2. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    :lol:

Post new vids soon.

3. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    Will do mate, really taken on board your recommendations, in shadow boxing been pivoting on all my movements, not just while punching but also while slipping and weaving, high guard stuck to my face on both sides, pulling back the left hand/side of my body while throwing the right and vice versa. I got into the habit of arm punching a bit because I have fairly heavy hands naturally (even if it may not look like it in the vid; mini-mitts don't make much noise) so I forgot to use that extra twist, pivot and follow through on my shots.

4. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Great :thumbsup

5. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    Cheers for the insight, I'm not gonna get into a big debate about whether I do or don't hit hard because I'm not a prideful person who gets offended easily, all I can say is every time I've hit pads for someone new, whether they be fighters/ex fighters, trainers etc. they have remarked about the strength of punches, I can quite easily send a large size heavy bag swinging without the need of much effort, the heaviness is present even when there isn't much speed or snap. You seem to be knowledgeable of physiology and physics, does what I propose to you sound totally implausible?

6. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    And in regards to the hook, I know I need more rotation through the waist and to follow through, it was too tight and jerky how I performed it. Interesting about stopping suddenly after the twist at the waist then whipping the left independently, I always thought the left was driven at the hips right through the target.. But I'll be mindful of your break down and try to train it against the bag.
    Regarding balance it try to aim for a 50/50 balance

7. bitsandbytes

bitsandbytes New Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Looks decent overall, my man! Seems like you're absorbing the useful information that (some) folks have posted as well.

Have you ever sparred or do you plan on sparring? I only ask because your movements do come across as a bit stiff and as if they were learned by rote instead of reacting to a situation. If you haven't sparred maybe you can do a few light rounds with your trainer just to get feel for what it's like. Once you understand the application it might make some of the other stuff click. I know it did for me, anywho.

Think others pointed out most of these things, but what I noticed could use improvement:

-Be sure to fully extend your punches and punch through the target. My trainer calls it "punching long".
    -Rotate your jab so palm is facing down
    -Work on your left hook - should be a whipping motion bringing weight back to your back leg. When I was learning it help to emulate putting a cigarette out with your left foot while slamming the weight onto your back heel.
    -Keep your left hand up and next to your face. It's just better to get in the habit of keeping it up so it's 2nd nature when youre in the ring. You do a good job keeping your right up.

8. TERRYTIBBS

TERRYTIBBS Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 11, 2013
    nice work bro i like the way your stepping in with your right hand nice but one thing turn your glove as you throw your shots and you will generate more power as you will be punching with your knuckles.
    Im only saying this because it a mistake i always make lol

9. TVLPC

TVLPC Member Full Member

Jan 16, 2011
    I have to agree with UKrinetic's assessment. When I started out(and by no means am I a pro now), I did several weeks of learning how to "step properly" then I threw 4 rounds of jabs at both mitts. He had me throw the same punches over and over and over on the mitts and bag, specifically my lead hand. I heard repeatedly about where my shoulder was supposed to be, where to step, stop leaning over so much, go slow, and so forth.

It took me a few weeks before I realized that this is the proper way to train anybody. My body had to learn how to throw a jab before I could put together multiple punches, duck this, slip that. I say this because it looks like you are very new and trying to put it all together at once.

My advice is, if you have a quality boxing guy working with you, do the fundamentals slowly.

10. RichC

RichC Member Full Member

May 15, 2011
    Several weeks of learning how to step properly?

11. TERRYTIBBS

TERRYTIBBS Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 11, 2013
    why does sommething inside me tell me this guy is a dig **** boxer lol

12. TVLPC

TVLPC Member Full Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Meaning stepping in while changing levels, doing the bob weave rope drill without punching while keeping hands up, step-slide in the mirror, how to pivot with proper weight distribution, things like that. I guess that my post was a bit general on that.

13. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    I'll try to do a new video soon with adjustments guys, I incurred a pretty nasty ankle injury in BJJ so any sort of pivoting ****s my world at the moment.. I've definitely learned to loosen up though, especially with whipping the hook rather than trying to drive it.

14. slo100

Oct 27, 2007
    Still haven't done a new pad video due to foot work restrictions resulting from my ankle injury, but feel free to check out this very brief double-end bag video I took. I just installed it recently and am still getting the hang of it so be gentle. Please note there is nothing wrong with your speakers, it was raining heavily when I filmed the video. Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0laX-NlhF7A&feature=youtu.be

15. rampant

rampant Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Looks alright to me but I'm no expert, keep up the good work.