Medicine ball to the stomach- the science involved

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by AndrewFFC, Jul 21, 2010.

1. AndrewFFC

AndrewFFC Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Most boxers have medicine ball pounded to their stomach as a remedy against body shots. Im curious to know whether this is just an old school thing which may not be all that helpful or if there is actually scientific backing towards to physiology of it.

Ive heard it said it builds the stomach but Ive also heard it damages the abdomen more. Appreciate if someone could enlighten me further.

2. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Old School Bollocks.

3. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Having someone dropping it on your stomach damages you, but having someone over your and hitting your stomach with it is ok

4. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Sounds like it could really hurt you. the guys at my gym give me body shots while I do situps/crunches. Maybe that would be better then the medicine ball

5. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    It's not damaging at all if you do it carefully. I wouldn't suggest having someone stand over you and do woodchopper throws into your stomach, but I doubt any of you have that going on anyway :)

If you feel like it's giving you an edge, then it is, psychologically at least. And I think it's similar to getting used to punches in the face. The first time you get hit, it's a big deal and you're kinda surprised that it hurts like it does, but as it happens more and more, you realize that it isn't really hurting you. you learn to differentiate between the average punch and a really damaging blow.

The medicine ball take a lot of the fear and surprise out of getting hit with body shots. The first time you really catch a good one downstairs, you can wonder if you're going to live. But if you get used to little impacts down there, you won't freak out every time you get touched to the body.

6. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    Its a great way of damaging the Liver Kidneys and Spleen, causing bruising. So they are spending time repairing themselves, rather than what they should be doing. A great way of using a rubber medicane Ball for Corr strength is stand on it. :yep

7. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 21, 2007
    i do loads of work with med balls fantastic bit of kit , but i dont get anyone to throw it into my stomach, i used to and discovered and realised real quick it was old skool non sense , it was just after id finished cutting myself with a razor to toughen my skin up and drinking whisky and eating raw steak :roll:

scrap what does standing on it do iv heard you talk about balancing exercises before, i imagine it improves core strength and balance? How often and in what way should you do it? I.e in rounds ?

Sorry to hijack just curious

8. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    Get a Ball, and stand on it with one leg. Start rocking on it, only an inch Head forward other leg as counter balance, when you get use to it shut the eyes see what happens :good

captain hook likes this.
  9. Johnboy2007

Johnboy2007 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 21, 2007

ill try it but i think i can guess what happens lol :lol:

10. Boxinglad123

Boxinglad123 Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    It's great, use it all the time. You need to start light and build up or you will just hurt yourself, just like if you try to lift weights way too heavy you will injure yourself. I started a while back bouncing it from about 8 inches on my body, now I can have someone drop it from about 5 feet up.

11. ricki

ricki Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I'ts really a must - it helps u get used to exhale at the right moments when seeing the ball / punch coming to ur abs, tense them in order to receive the impact, and that helps buid specific muscle, too, with a resistance against the abdominal wall u sculpt ur abs from the outside - in addition to getting used to taking body punishment, of course

12. Boxinglad123

Boxinglad123 Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    People don't like it because it can be very painful. The pain shows that it works. It builds the core muscles which take the punches and it trains the muscles for the shock of being punched. If you're serious about training for a war then this excercise is brilliant!

13. Windigo

Windigo Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Do you really want your first experience dealing with such a blow to be in the ring. The mind has to be trained as well as the body.

14. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Getting a ball dropped on you does not "scult ur abs" and it doesn't build muscle. What the hell does that even mean, sculpt your abs from the outside? People say such random BS on this forum.

15. doylexxx

doylexxx Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    a crunch is gonna be preformed when its pushed on you but close distance is enough

works the breathing that for sure

dropping it on you like a basketball could break a rib lol

Joe Frazier used to walk full steam at hsi trainer while he smashed it into his stomach