Meeting and seeing boxers outside the ring

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by supersuperspurs, Nov 16, 2020.

1. supersuperspurs

supersuperspurs Nigel Coulson Full Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Has anyone encountered or seen any boxers outside the ring in places you wouldn’t expect to see them.

I once saw George Groves shopping in my leisure centre in London and once Andy Murray (tennis) and his Wife shopping in Sainsbury’s

2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood The Stoneman Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Saw delboy in london, working next door to his mums house.

3. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I saw Nicolai Valuev while hiking in the Himalayas.

4. AlwaysFirst

AlwaysFirst Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I live in Las Vegas so I seen most fighters at some point but the most random is standing next to Arturo Gatti in a line to a nightclub many yrs ago, he was cool and took a photo with me and my friends.

Another random encounter was when I was at my Chiropractor an early morning and Mike Tyson was in the parking lot, the girls in the front desk got excited and asked him to come inside, Tyson looked confused and tired (probably from partying the whole night) but came inside and said Hi.

titanic and DJN16 like this.
  5. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Isreal Vasquez at the Ontario convention center. It was a small area where he was commentating a night of fights. I also saw Alfred Angulo at a pizzeria in Big Bear.

greynotsoold likes this.
  6. JOKER

JOKER You Get What You #$@%ing Deserve!!! Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Boxers I've Seen Up Close:
    • Manny Pacquiao (he's really 5' 4")
    • Kermit Cintron
    • Amir Khan
    • Max Kellerman (he went into the elevator w/ 2 smoking hot women)
    Boxers/Boxing People I've Met/Talked To:
    • Andre Ward
    • Paulie Malignaggi
    • Sergey Kovalev
    • Guillermo Rigondeaux
    • Joel Diaz
    • Kenny Bayless
    • Timothy Bradley
    • Zab Judah
    • Jim Lampley

titanic and ShovelHook like this.
  7. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I remember on one forum, I don’t think it was this one, but someone had come from the Wlad Peter II fight, and he met Wlad in Burger King afterwards

and he said Wlad had FIVE Burger King whoppers

I guess he was out to celebrate his victory

even posted a picture to prove it

8. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    David Haye and Chris Eubank both in Central London.

Both were cool when I approached to have a small chat.

9. Jackman65

Jackman65 No longer booted! Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Damn, I’m embarrassed to even post my list after seeing yours. Your list is impressive.

I’ve only got a few and none are in the same universe as yours or some of the others.

Lou Duva, met at a bar near O’Hare airport. Had a chance to speak with him for a long time at a hotel bar. Very nice guy, we had a chance to talk about boxing and some up and coming fighters. I had a few drinks and don’t recall the specifics.

Andrew Golitta, saw him with his wife at a restaurant. Seemed nice, he was walking in the same time as I was. I just said hi and wished him luck. He was a large guy, bigger than he looked on the tiny TV I had at the time.

Safin likes this.
  10. Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2011
    I saw Joseph and John Parker the other day and I seem to see David Higgins around all the time.

The Parkers both seemed thinner and leaner than I expected (I guess that’s how high level athletes look compared to the majority of average schlubs). Higgins unsurprisingly always seems hyped up and has a bigger presence than you’d think because he’s actually of above average height.

11. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Been on the session with Sean Turner a few times, he likes the ole cocainum too much I'll tell you that.

lepinthehood likes this.
  12. Mike_b

Mike_b Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Seen Scotty the bulldog Olson on the lrt in Edmonton. Saw Helena mrdnevich in the gym training. Both were world champions from Canada. Scotty looked mad short, like 5'3", Helena looked like an average talent but amazing woman boxer.

13. cslb

cslb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    I met Ali in a New Orleans restaurant after the Spinks fight. I saw Larry Holmes a couple of times in different airports while he was champ. I used to see the Kronk boys in different clubs in Detroit all the time. Leon Spinks and Holyfield in New Orleans nightclubs.

KidGalahad likes this.
  14. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I met Luis Ortiz in 1927 at Dempsey Tunney fight.

15. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    They're all about 1" - 3" shorter than their boxrec listed height. People need to get their height measured by a doctor using that thing that comes down on your head, while barefoot. That is your REAL height, not what it says on your license.

Safin likes this.