Meldrick Taylor: One of the most entertaining fighters to watch ever.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Swarmer, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Swarmer

Swarmer Patrick Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    His combination of incredible handspeed, good footspeed, solid pop, flash, and warrior mentality was hard to beat as far as excitement factors in. I can see different ways he could have been a more effective fighter, a more intelligent fighter perhaps... But for a short time, before he first met Chavez he was stunning to watch. What do you think of TNT?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=porsK2f9emo[/ame]

And sadly, the tragedy we all remember:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3xec0RFNY[/ame]

2. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    I really liked tayler, slick philly boxer. Very sad what happened to him. A real master boxer, my type of fighter

3. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009
    His career really ended after Norris, not Chavez I. Taylor still beat Davis for a belt and had an underrated scrap with Glenwood Brown. He also gave a great effort in the rematch which many people forget. He was exciting and had enough pop to make people respect it. With his over eagerness to trade and leaky defense he never was going to have a long career sadly. Chavez ended his prime but MT was still a good fighter until his dumb management decided to put him in 154 to fight with a prime Norris. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

4. Swarmer

Jan 19, 2010
    I'm not saying he wasn't a good fighter after Chavez... I just think some of his talent and brilliance was beaten out of him. I watched the Chavez-Taylor legendary nights episode and man, I feel sorry for him. His speech is so slurred. I can't believe he was still fighting then.

Too much pride, too much heart. If only guys like Dirrell and Alexander had half the stones he did.

I'm not sure how I feel about him being called a "slick" fighter. Taylor was a boxer, but he came to fight. He loved to engage, just like his idol.

5. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    :good:good:good:goodYou forgot Dawson. I agree with you but still his prime was beaten out of him after the first fight with Chavez. I used to hate the stoppage call from Steele but a few more punches may have done more harm to his already bad health. Steele did the right thing. It's also a shame that he was still fighting late 90s-early 00s. The guy could fight and I wish his career didn't end like it did.

6. Swarmer

Jan 19, 2010
    I don't think Dawson lacks in heart per se. I DO think he has attention deficit disorder, and can't apply himself consistently because of pure lack of focus. I still dont know how i feel about the call. It's two seconds. Duva is partly to blame for drawing Taylor's attention. Taylor is to blame for not responding to Steele. And maybe Steele didn't make the right call.

7. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    He basically gave Pascal the belt. He was following him and not throwing enough punches. He does lack focus but his heart is still questionable imo. Even before Pascal he gave away rounds in Tarver 1. He fights with no drive or desire to be champ.

Duva should have stayed off of the ring and Taylor should've responded. Too many factors to be included but maybe it's best for the fight to be ended like it did.

8. lefthook31

lefthook31 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jul 6, 2007
    He was definitely never the same after the Chavez fight.

9. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    Agreed. Still good enough to pick up a title against Davis but was damaged after Chavez. Similar to Cotto after Margarito, another fight that a skilled boxer elects to brawl but succumbed to relentless pressure.

10. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I agree Meldrick Taylor was a brave and exciting fighter. With tremendous hand speed and heart... He reminds me of Johnny Saxon, lightweight champion in the 1950s .He was doing great with tremendous handspeed until he met Carmen Basilio,and Tony DeMarco,was kod and went downhill fast. He also reminds me of today's Andre Berto,and Gil Turner also of Philly...a joy to watch ,was Meldrick !

11. Swarmer

Jan 19, 2010
    I gotta say, that handspeed is mesmerizing. His punches/combos have a flowing quality to them that are natural. I have to say that he has the fastest hands i've ever seen. The only who comes close is Patterson with single shots, but i've never seen anyone pop off combinations as fast as him, to the body and head.

12. Goyourownway

Goyourownway Insanity enthusiast Full Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I've always seen Meldrick Taylor as more of a fighter than an actual boxer.He was a brave fighter,but not a particularly intelligent one.He was only ever effective at engaging on the inside,using body punching and overwhelming opponents with sheer speed and volume.His limitations against fighters that were able to control distance and work from the outside were highlighted as early as the Howard Davis fight,and later on against Garcia and Espana.

13. Valane

Valane Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2010

I have an awful lot of respect for Meldrick, great attitude in regards to fighting. Out of curiosity who was his idol?

14. El Bujia

El Bujia Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 4, 2010
    He was no slickster, that's for sure. Made for exciting fights, but just not my kind of stylist, really. Definitely a force to be reckoned with on his day, although I wouldn't favor him over many, if any true elites.

15. Swarmer

Jan 19, 2010
    This content is protected

Agreed. I see him as a result of style conflicts. I get the impression he was trained more like a boxer but his strategy is that of a swarmer or volume puncher. He doesn't move his head enough or slip consistently(which is what happens when your goal is to pop off 3-7 punch combos at every opportunity. An interesting style in my opinion, there aren't many boxer/swarmer hybrids and maybe Taylor's fate is why.