Meldrick Taylor vs Floyd Mayweather at lightweight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by drronnie, Oct 14, 2019.

who wins this

1. Taylor by TKO / KO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Taylor by UD

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. a draw

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Mayweather by TKO / KO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mayweather by UD

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. drronnie

drronnie Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2019
    One of the fastest handed lightweights vs one the world's best defense artists. Here you go :)

2. drronnie

drronnie Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Just too bad his hand speed did not have the power or else he would be an ATG. But still one of my favorite boxers wish I could send him some encouragement letter in jail

3. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Mayweather by close ud.

4. DavidBarnes

DavidBarnes Member banned Full Member

Dec 8, 2019
    Would be very competitive but Floyd would find a way to win on points.

5. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I assume you mean 140 and not lightweight.

It'd be one helluva fight at 140, and though I'm not 100% either way, I'd lean towards Floyd.

One things for sure... Mel's handspeed would be a problem for Floyd, especially early.

Problem for Mel is, while he has the handspeed and activity to mitigate Floyd's offense early, he doesn't have the power to deter Floyd all night.

Meaning that eventually Floyd is gonna let his hands go more and more, and he'd be landing by far the cleaner shots of the two.

Plus, there's a rather astronomical difference in ring IQ between the two, and much as I wanna ignore that, I can't.

Floyd, competitive yet clear UD.

6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I got too go with the consensus here. Taylor had the hand speed to trouble Mayweather Jr. Early, he probably would win the 1st 3-4 rds. However his lack of power AND most importantly, his defensive lapses (Taylor had a tendency to wait around for the receipt, and if you look at his career in its entirety, well before it was exposed by Chavez, that weakness was always their.) would enable Mayweather Jr, to work himself back into the fight. Mayweatherjr didn't punch with the power of Chavez, but he'd do enough to win a close but unanimous decision.