Memorable Fights

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by BiggyWeiTing, Sep 24, 2013.

1. BiggyWeiTing

BiggyWeiTing New Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I was hoping there was a thread devoted to fighting/sparring/etc stories, but I do not see one. If I somehow missed it, well I guess this is a new one.

I am like many other men in that I love a good fight story.
    I will share a story of mine to kick things off, and hopefully you all will have a memorable story you don't mind sharing.
    This is not a contest for who has the best story, so lets try to keep the this in the realm of non-fiction rather than fiction.

:bbb
    I met a guy named Dave who had an interesting story.
    Guy was 6'8", 350lbs, and grew up with a Golden Gloves champ for a stepdad who apparently enjoyed beating him regularly.
    Dave spent his entire childhood fighting, then in his teens got into Golden Gloves. Once he started working jobs as a bouncer, doorman, security, etc, he stopped going to the gym and put on weight.

Anyway, I met Dave because I was supposed to fight him. I had been in the Army for about 5 years, and a buddy in my unit kept telling me about this friend of his who "thinks he is so bad ass" and how someone needs to knock him out, etc. Eventually my Army buddy told me that the guy was actively picking on him and his friends, but they were all scared to fight him. I volunteered, saying "Tell him I will fight him".

So I meet Dave, and sure enough he is just as big as he was rumored to be. I approach him, speak with him in a respectful tone, basically the "We are going to do this, but there is no reason we can't be civilized about it" sort of thing.
    We put on our gloves, make sure the other is ready, and *ding ding* here we go.

The guy has a massive reach. He sends a big right hand my way, I lean back and it's a complete miss. We move around, he sends a few jabs that I deflect, then another big right hand. This one grazes my nose. We move around, little jabs to the gloves, I am trying to feel him out. I guess I had a brain dead moment, because I will never forget seeing him telegraph a huge right hand. I watched the shoulder, the arm, the draw back, the twist, the launch forward, and it come right at me, thinking every step of the way that "He is about to blast me right in the face", yet for some reason made no attempt to deflect it, slip it, etc.
    BAM! He connects a clean right hand straight to my left eye.
    I immediately a hard right cross to him. I am still not looking right at him as my head is still looking up from the blast to my face.
    I feel a hard -thud- on my glove, knowing i hit something.
    My head drops back down, taking my eyes out of the clouds and back to Dave.
    Dave is gone, he is no longer standing in front of me.
    I look down to find Dave sitting flat on his ass, legs bowed out, chin to his chest, mumbling something.
    My instinct is to ask "Did I get you?"
    He ends up getting up, and his exact words, which I will never forget, were "I have never been hit so hard that I fell off my feet".
    I ask him if he wants to continue, and he says yes.
    Round two.
    I am bobbing back and forth, sending small jabs to him, seeing if he will open up.
    He send a hard jab my way, immediately followed by a straight right.
    I slip that giant right hand of his, send a left jab right to his jaw.
    He is stunned and tries backing away.
    I go after him, sending a left hook hard into his temple. He starts losing his balance and going over, but instinctively I want to be sure he actually goes down (hopefully for good) so i send a heavy right hand straight to him, which makes clean contact with his jaw.
    Lights out.
    He falls face first to the ground.
    His pants have fallen down (no joke).
    He is completely limp.
    I ask "Are you ok?" about 15 times.
    He never responds.
    After being out cold for about a minute he suddenly comes to, and gets to his feet as fast as he can, which is not very fast.
    He says he wants to keep going, claiming he can still fight. He says "What? I fell down, I'm sorry!".
    Everyone watching convinces him that he was KO'd. He is bleeding from the mouth. He says it feels like his brain is "moving around inside his skull".

We shake hands, laugh, clean up, and we have been best friends ever since.

2. rampant

rampant Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 24, 2011
    cool story.......

3. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    my brother ordered a coffee from a judge last weekend, it was a highlight of the day!

4. BiggyWeiTing

Sep 22, 2013
    Am I being led to believe that in a boxing forum, there are not any good boxing stories from the members?

5. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Good story. I already told this one - it's not as interesting as yours but kinda funny.

Every gym has a clown whose mouth exceeds their boxing skills.
    Ours had a comical habit of talking while sparring and when you pressure him, he swears quite comically...like..."oh ****...****..." And as much as I sucked back then - this guy was pretty near useless.

Anyway our clown has a restaurant. And one of my buddies had lunch there.
    He was telling my buddy how amazing he was now, and how he was "like Mike Tyson now" and how he could beat me now (specifically me..).

So next time we're in the gym getting ready for sparring - he says to me "I want you to go hard, and break a bone in my face". I said OK. (he didn't know my buddy told me what he said).

So when we sparred, I took liberties and made it a point to hurt him (which I never do, except this one time). I'm not a big puncher, but I dug into his body relentlessly.

At the end, he was sore and cursing me for hitting him so hard. I was totally laughing inside and feeling satisfied after that.

6. BiggyWeiTing

Sep 22, 2013
    I have always been one who loves it when a loud mouth gets a lesson in humility :)