Michael Dokes v Michael Spinks

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eye of Timaeus, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I've got Spinks by decision. Thoughts?

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
  3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I actually also think Dokes could win this. In the day Dokes had a very nice left hook that had a tendency to come out of nowhere and surprise opponents. I don't see Spinks making five rounds against him, I see him getting floored and stopped.

Reinhardt likes this.
  4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Wow. Dokes was strong and fast. Not really a powerful puncher but strong physically. People think strength goes with power but not always in my estimation. This could be grueling for Spinks. I think Spinks would win by UD or SD.. Very interesting fight. One thing about Spinks is he fought ok at heavyweight and his win over Holmes is one of the best upsets in heavyweight history, but he was so good that we really did not know how well he took a punch at heavyweight. Holmes hit him but he did that little dip and then baby step thing and got out of it, but he never took many solid punches at that weight. Until Tyson, which he just collapsed almost in a fear way rather than being hurt.

5. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Michael Dokes by 2nd round stoppage. He will be dealing with a speed and quickness he may have never dealt with before, and that will be the key.

6. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
  7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If you throw out the consistency factor and pick the absolute best version of Dokes against the best version of heavyweight Spinks, I think Dokes wins.

If you have to fish Dokes out of the local crackhouse before the fights, well, Spinks destroys him.

8. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Dokes.Those quick combos score the points.

I also think they would force spinks into an 80% defense type bout and just play coverup and try to make it to the finish line. And the pace of the fight would not be to spinks' liking either. He loved taking constant breaks and never set the world on fire with his activity level. Dokes would force the pace of the bout and I question the durability of Spinks in a high paced bout.

rinsj, Pat M, Reinhardt and 1 other person like this.
  9. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Dokes jumps on Spinks fast and early. His fast hands and hook would have Spinks hurt early. Dokes stops him in 6.I just think Spinks wouldn't get a chance to mess Dokes around and find himself in trouble within minutes.

Pat M and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Prime Dokes is faster than Spinks , hits harder than Spinks, was stronger and I don't think Spinks would actually hurt Dokes. This think doesn't make it to the 8th round

11. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Best Dokes > Spinks > Lesser versions of Dokes