Michael Moorer: The GOAT Light Heavyweight Puncher and don't you tell me otherwise

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Sep 15, 2020.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Bob Foster was a better puncher at light heavyweight, and so was Matthew Saad Muhammad and Marvin Johnson. Maybe Archie Moore and Michael Spinks as well.

3. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm sure Ramzi Hassan and Mike Sedillo might say he was, but who the %$#@ are they?

He's unproven against anyone of note at the weight, so not sure how he can be rated as anything other than a prospect.

4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I disagree with that. Put Pernall Whitaker (for example) in with a Louie Lomeli or Juan Nazario and watch him do a great Tyson impersonation. Put him in with stouter competition and watch how that KO percentage mysteriously heads south. Hmmmm.........

5. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Exactly. Its the Cleveland Williams argument all over again. Supposedly incredible power with zero noteworthy KOs to back up the claim.

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think the way his power translated to heavyweight, plus the devastating power he showed at light-heavy, even if his comp left alot to be desired, is enough to have an accurate-ish gauge on him.

With that said, I doubt he hit harder than Spinks, Foster or Moore. Definitely not harder than Sheppard.

7. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You're not exactly high on Cleveland Williams, are you??

8. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Moorer was thisclose to facing Prince Williams before he bolted to heavy. KO magazine's forecast was split 2-2... with 2 guys picking Moorer and 2 picking Prince. WOuld've been a better measurement to assess Moorer's power.

Still, I agree with this thread topic. Moorer would land some bombs against the best light heavies, similar to Mike Tyson and his ascension to the throne. Both guys feasted on cans and ultimately looked as good or even better when they stepped their comp up.

9. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    HE FOUGHT NOONE.
    HE WAS NOT REALLYCHAMP AT 175.
    A NEOPHYTE AT THE WEIGHT.
    A footnote in 175 history he should not even be mentioned with great contenders. He never was or fought one.

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Duran was the HORSE lightweight puncher too apparently.

11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Bob Foster for me,along with Satterfield,Langford,Fitzsimmons,Choynski.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  12. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Not really, look at Mike Tyson, he looked like the most devastating puncher of all time when he was climbing up the ranks, but as he moved up in competition he wasn’t knocking people out in the same fashion. It’s obvious that your gonna look more powerful if you only fight bums.

The Morlocks likes this.
  13. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Moorer lacked the boxing intelligence at 175 to really make a judgement call on his place in Light Heavyweight punching history. An old Stewart and ordinary talents in Allen and Stonewalker frustrated him. As at the time, if you survived the first couple of rounds, generally Moorer struggled as he was learning the business in the spotlight.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    He looked like the LH GOAT against the type of guys Foreman fought in 1988

15. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Think it’s more telling who you’ve knocked out. In that category Moorer is lacking. Moore has a lot more depth on his Ko resume. Hell of a hitter though.