Michael Moorer vs Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Dec 16, 2018.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Why didn't this fight happen and how would it have went?

2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Not sure the reason it never came off but lucky for Moorers health it didn't. Like the Tua fight even in MMs prime ,Lewis Ko 1 .

InMemoryofJakeLamotta and rski like this.
  3. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    After beating Holyfield, Moorer was asked if he was going to fight Lewis next. His response was something like "I'll fight who I want to fight, not who you want me to fight". Turned out the man he wanted to fight was a 45 year old George Foreman, who knocked him out.

As to who would have won, Moorer didn't have the size or power to be a threat to Lewis and his own chin was shaky, so Lewis by TKO.

4. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    easy KO for Lewis. was a fan of Moorer, decent fighter but his punch resistance at heavyweight under the requirements by a fair stretch, especially against the power Lewis carried.

5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So he actually fought Foreman to duck Lewis?

6. Berlenbach

Sep 27, 2011
    I'm not sure if he faced Foreman specifically to avoid Lewis, but taking a fight with an inactive 45-year old instead of unifying with Lewis was considered a soft touch. It was only a short window of opportunity for that fight as by the end of the year Lewis had lost to McCall and Moorer had lost to Foreman.

mcvey and InMemoryofJakeLamotta like this.
  7. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I like MM but I think Lewis would win by KO. In a great era of heavyweights, Lewis was king.

MarkusFlorez99 and mcvey like this.
  8. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    There was no email systems back then and Moorers post went to the wrong house but this was a fight I always wanted to see back in the day

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  9. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    probably 2 or 3 rounds for Lennox.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  10. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Lewis was mandated to fight McCall, that was not Moorer's fault...

So the answer to the thread is that fight did not happen before 95 because it was not viable timing wise. And then Holyfield rather than Lewis did the partial 'unification' post 94, so it was never seriously discussed post 94 either.

Rock0052 likes this.
  11. Berlenbach

Sep 27, 2011
    Lewis-McCall was five months after Holyfield-Moorer. Moorer made it clear he wasn't interested in Lewis.

mcvey likes this.
  12. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    It was a cluster **** of an era that one. I still have a ring magazine stating what the best fight is between Lewis-Bowe-Moorer, turns out none happened. Lewis got chinned of McCall and the Bowe fight postponed, then Moorer got chinned of Foreman ending the Lewis fight then Bowe got into a nutsack brawl with Golota twice and again that fight was off.

Throw in Tyson v Holy postponed three times which, one for upset of the century then lastly cause Mike was incarcerated, fanman coming in making a mess of Holy-Bowe II. Holy retiring for heart problems that weren't true, Mercer losing his shot due to being upset of Holmes, Morriston being upset by Mercer then later Bentt. The ear biting incident and a **** load more I've prob left out the nineties heavies was a roundabout of entertainment.

At one point we nearly ended up with Foreman and Holmes as both champs in an era which had ten plus year younger nearer prime Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and Bowe if Holmes had got the nod v McCall. Nuts.

13. Farooq

Farooq Member banned Full Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Moorer was knocked out by Tua, Holyfield, and Foreman. He was knocked down by hard punching Bert Cooper who also knocked down Holyfield. So apparently that means he can't take a punch. Yet apparently it is okay for Wladimir Klistchko to get knocked out 3 times by lesser punchers. I never seen a vs thread where people bash Wladimir's chin like they do Moorer. Moorer's power also was good enough to stun Holyfield something neither Tyson or Lewis could really do. Moorer still had decent pop a heavyweight.

Moorer didn't want to fight Lewis right away? So? A lot of fighters want a easy fight right after they win the title. I guess Moorer thought Foreman would be easy and he could get a nice pay day off it. Foreman called out Lewis after George beat Pierre Coetzer and Lewis had nothing to say. Does that mean Lewis was afraid of Foreman?

Anyway depending on how motivated Moorer was he could give Lewis some problems. Guys like Levi Billups who fought Moorer first and was knocked out by Michael managed to go the full 10 with Lewis. So Moorer could do the same and lose that way. If Moorer came out lethargic and Lewis came out quick like he did against Golota then Lewis would probably stop Moorer in a similar fashion.

14. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Lewis/McCall was already set before the Jackson fight. Indeed McCall had fought in the UK to try and build up his recognition in anticipation of the bout.

15. SignTheContract

SignTheContract New Member Full Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Too big and skilled. Lewis stoppage by rd 9 or 10. Lewis would likely be a bit overly cautious and Moore would last a bit

Colonel Sanders likes this.