Michael Spinks: An under-appreciated ATG

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Addie, Jul 18, 2008.

1. AliFrazier71

AliFrazier71 Member Full Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Well said!:thumbsup

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Reign as champion is not the only criteria especialy in the light heavyweight division.

Arguably the three greatest fighters of that weight did not hold the title because the curent champion was sh1ting their pants when their name was mentioned.

Ezzard Charles

Sam Langford

Harry Greb

If the champions didnt give them a chance then you do.

At least look at who they beat.

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Incredibly well said. :good

4. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Great fighter who only problem (if you consider it that) was that he didn't have more fights, maybe he could've fought and beaten Rossman, Saad Muhammad, and Jerry Martin.

5. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    LH wasn't actually that weak in the 80's.

Eddie Mustapha Muhammad was considered a legit p4p candidate when he fought Spinks, and was considered, in many ways, to really be coming into his own.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi was just a scary mofo at 175lbs, and his demolitions of Saad proved that point.

Yaqui Lopez was past his best, but he was still a damned tough contender who had given Saad all he could handle in his previous fight/

Marvin Johnson was a legit threat at 175lbs, who would go on to win a title after Spinks moved up.

Eddie Davis was a good solid contender who would have been a good solid contender in pretty much every era.

Even some of the also-rans that Spinks fought were decent fighters. Murray Sutherland won a title at 168lbs. Jerry Celestine, Johnny Davis, Mustapha Wassaja and Vonzell Johnson were all decent fighters in their own right, and as a whole, comprised a better body of work than, sayb Foster's list of contenders...or RJJ's list, too.

It was a good era. And Spinks dominanted it. Can't ask for anything more than that.

6. Quickhands21

Quickhands21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Does anybody know how he's doing these days?

7. booradley

booradley Mean People Kick Ass! Full Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong about the opponent, but here is my definition of Micheal Spinks. He lifted Jerry Celestine's feet a good two inches off the canvass with an uppercut! Fight Over!

8. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Spinks was not an ATG.

9. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    Go 2 sleep

10. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I feel the same way...

11. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Look I'm new here and can say there are a lot of guys that know their stuff. Some have one niche, some have others. I like the message boards to debate, express opinion and definately to learn. While many are guilty of getting hot at one time or other (myself included), what separates the best boards from the low rent is when the guys give one another the benefit of the doubt, show a little give and take and try to avoid sarcastic remarks or mean spirited attacks. That is the strong point of the CBZ . Eastside Boxing has lots of fresh ideas, much more activity, some very sharp fans but is also raw at times. Simply a different flavor. Still lots of fun.

12. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    ..............You forgot to mention how charming we all are. :bart

13. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Watch your mouth you ****ing infidel. :twisted: