Michael Spinks vs Deontay Wilder

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, May 27, 2020.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014

I never compared Spinks to Oltmanns. I don't even know who he is. I have no idea what you're trying to argue about.

None of the guys you mentioned outboxed Wilder. He was ahead of all of them on the cards when he stopped them all.

I don't think Wilder would lose to a blown up light heavy with bad knees who was at the end of his career.

You seem to want to get into a pissing match about Wilder. I like Wilder. I like Spinks. I always have. I don't see Spinks winning remotely.

I have nothing against either of them. That's just my pick.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hes the guy who Wilder fought who weighed less than him, and was KOed in 26 seconds. The one you compared Spinks to...
    And he got a draw vs Fury, doesn't mean he wasn't out-boxed vs him. Watching the fights tells a different story to the cards, as you know.
    Interesting that you neglect to mention that 'blown up light heavy" beat Larry Holmes. Twice. Wilder wouldn't even be in his top 3 wins. That's a very pathetic way of trying to get your point across.
    I like Spinks. I don't like Wilder. I have always said so. Why don't you see Spinks winning? You're the only person I've seen on here that can't see Spinks winning.

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well said and it should be added that outside of Fury (and even then) Spinks would be the best opponent on Wilder's ledger.

4. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Whatever, George.

5. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    He's an all-time great light heavyweight. One of my favorite fighters to watch.

But I wouldn't pick Michael Spinks over Wilder, Fury, Joshua or many of the top heavyweights today.

Spinks outpointed Holmes in their first fight. It was a huge accomplishment. He deserves all accolades for that. It was a big upset.

But I wouldn't pick Spinks over many of the top heavyweights of the last 30 years. I say that as a fan of his.

6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I know and skill set wise, you can say he's better than anyone on Wilder's resume, you can even make an argument for him being better than Fury in a pound for pound and skill sense.

7. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    In a pound-for-pound sense he may have been better than anyone Tyson beat, too, depending on where you have Holmes pound-for-pound. But that didn't help him see the bell ending round one.

Head-to-head, I don't see it.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  8. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    But Wilder wasn't as good as a young Tyson.

9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    No. Wilder is Wilder. Much taller. Bigger puncher. Tyson Fury isn't a young Mike Tyson, either. I'd take him over Spinks, too. Joshua isn't a young Mike Tyson. I'd take him over Spinks, too. Holyfield wasn't a young Mike Tyson. I'd take him over Spinks, too. Wlad wasn't a young Mike Tyson, I'd take him over Spinks, too. Vitali wasn't a young Mike Tyson. I'd take him over Spinks, too. Lennox Lewis wasn't a young Mike Tyson. I'd take him over Spinks, too. Riddick Bowe wasn't a young Mike Tyson. I'd take him over Spinks, too. I'm sure there were others, as well.

There's nothing you're going to say to convince me bad knees, two divisions above his best weight Spinks would've beaten Wilder. That's my pick.

Feel free to move on.

10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Didn't say he would beat Wilder, but I think he'd have a better chance than most. And most of those guys you named in no way, shape or form could replicate a 91 second destruction that Tyson performed.

11. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I actually think that Wilder would find him and stop the fight quickly after that at some point. No way it would be early, Wilder isn't fast starter and he never faced someone as good defensively as Spinks.

Acting that no former LHW would last more than 1 round against Wilder is ridiculous though. I'd expect Ezzard to dominate him in one sided boxing lesson.

12. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    185lb Charles?

I´d expect him to hit the bicycle climbing three weight classes, but ok.....:eusa_whistle:

This content is protected

13. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    What this video has to do with Wilder vs Charles?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    A demonstration to what would happen, if a SHW jumped on a LHW-CW.
    Charles has zero business against behemoths of today, including someone who could punch with those (Wilder).

15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    So you've made two basic mistakes there. You've compared Wilder to Lewis, and Charles to Melvin Epps.

Well done. :clap: