Michael spinks vs Jersey Joe Walcott

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Mar 21, 2021.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    The best version of Walcott vs the heavyweight rendition of spinks. What do you think ?

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Oh, the heavyweight version of Spinks. Mmm.
    I'm not sure the added size does a lot for Michael here. He was never a physical fighter who would use superior size and strength to gain an advantage.
    Maybe he'd change tack against Walcott, but I doubt it.
    Maybe he'd be able to punch a tad harder and take a punch better with the added weight, but for this fight I think they'd be negligible qualities.
    Both had good 15 round stamina, had that champion's mentality and both had an awkward style that was difficult to solve, Walcott especially.

For me, Walcott was cuter and more dangerous for being awkward, if you know what I mean. He could draw you into traps and then counter with stiff shots if you overextended yourself.
    I think Walcott's style would bedevil Spinks more than Spinks' own awkward style would bedevil Walcott.
    Spinks was a lot more consistent over the course of his career than was Walcott, but as this is a once-off fight, it doesn't matter.

If I'm honest, maybe more a fight for the purist than the casual fans, but an intriguing styles matchup nevertheless.
    I don't expect fireworks though.

I've got Walcott here, by decision. Maybe even a split decision. Spinks was a terrific fighter, but I think Walcott's just a bit too cute for him.

3. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Yep. And Walcott had enough pop to make Spinks think twice and three times. Walcott, at his best, is seriously underrated by most, IMHO. I agree with Walcott by decision.

mr. magoo likes this.
  4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Excellent post my friend

fists of fury likes this.
  5. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Tend to think Spinks is extremely overrated. His quality of opposition is truly limited. Especially at HW. Have to go with Walcott. To be fair he didn’t really have a lot of good competition to go against .

Reinhardt likes this.
  6. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    At Heavy I'd pick Walcott to stop Spinks tbh

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks buddy. Hope all is good on your end.

mr. magoo likes this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    At his best, Walcott. I see him getting a decision. Maybe even a ko. He dropped Louis and Rocky and Kd Charles, so that's not out of the question.

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don't see how you could even begin to think this.

Kamikaze likes this.
  10. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    His top five wins are
    Holmes (one of which he didn’t deserve)
    Cooney (hadn’t fought in 13 months)
    Qawi
    Johnson
    Muhammad
    He was only 31-1. His HW record consists of what five fights? Which would make his top five wins even smaller on the HW scale

11. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    You're acting like those names aren't impressive. Cooney isn't in his top five, and I specifically quoted the bit unrelated to heavyweight.

His top five wins include two incredibly talented fighters in Qawi and Muhammed, and a top five heavyweight ever - arguably twice. He has two more of the top LHWs of the era as well in Lopez and Pops. He beat plenty of top contenders like the Davis brothers. Spinks' resume is excellent. No way can you call it limited.

12. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Certainly limited at HW and Holmes def wasn’t prime for those fights and I def don’t put Holmes in top five. Fine if you do he has an argument. But to be fair the fight is at Hw it’s not LHW. At HW he is more then extremely limited. This isn’t really arguable. You may have been quoting a career in whole but I was more specifically referring to his HW credentials. Although I think you severely overrate Qawi and Muhammad at LHW. I wouldn’t put either in a top ten. Maybe not a top 15. Good fighters but nothing really head turning there.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  13. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    How on earth do you definitely not have Holmes top five? I didn't say Holmes was prime - although he wasn't exactly shot either. I already addressed that I was referring to his whole resume, which you also implies was limited when you said his heavyweight résumé was especially limited.

I wouldn't put either of them top 20, but I have every confidence that Qawi would be competitive and/or beat with about 17 of my top 20. They're excellent fighters, and so are Lopez, Pops, Eddie and Johnny Davis.

14. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Extremely limited how ? He seemed to have adequate power at heavyweight

15. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    His resume is limited at HW. Not that the man wasn’t capable of competing he obviously did. But to be fair we don’t really have a good idea of how good he could have been at that weight. I’d say the same for men like Tunney and Jones. Obviously capable men but it’s hard to put a ranking on them at that weight. Just my opinion.

Bronze Tiger likes this.