Michael Spinks

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by quintonjacksonfan, Jul 12, 2007.

1. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I have seen his fight with Qawi and all his heavyweight fights

I was wondering what other fights are worth ordering

2. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Marvin Johnson, Vonzell Johnson, Yaqui Lopez.

His fight against Eddie Mustafa Muhammad was a decent fight.

3. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
  4. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    These are some good suggestions. Vonzell Johnson once again learns the rule Jack Dempsey taught to Jack Sharkey, and that Georges Carpentier taught to Ted "Kid" Lewis; Protect Yourself at ALL Times!

If you're interested in tracing Mike's professional development, check out his eight round decision win over veteran Tom "The Bomb" Bethea on the undercard of Leon Spinks/Ali I. In only his seventh professional bout, Mike outboxes a veteran of 43 matches (which included a kayo win over Benvenuti, retiring Tom Bogs, and matches with Monzon, Rodriguez, Briscoe, Mike Quarry, and a host of other prominent experienced top performers. Tom was on a career ending losing skid by this time, but it was still incredible how quickly Mike could compete successfully against far more experienced opponents. (I believed then, that Mike would ultimately become the greatest alumnus of the 1976 U.S. Olympic boxing group, and despite the media hype for SRL, I think what Mike did was far more historic. He paved the way for all the lower weight class champions who subsequently gained HW championship status, by proving it was possible.)

All you need to see of Mike's match against Jerry Celestine was a shotgun blast right uppercut Spinks nearly decapitated Jerry with, as Mike's back was to the ropes. His multiple hook elimination of Mustafa Wassaja left the Ugandan hanging on the ropes, as Mike turned him into a slack bobblehead doll.

I don't know if Mike's bout with Willie "The Bull" Taylor is available, but in that match, Willie took all of Mike's hardest shots standing up, until Spinks's hands were hurting. (The referee finally stopped the proceedings as Taylor was cranking up another roundhouse hook.)

Do you like to see a quality jab deployed, with lots of blood? Then check out Mike's six round purge of Ramon Ranquello. Ranquello was hot property after his upset kayo of Mike Rossman, and this was supposed to be the rematch. Come fight time, Rossman was not available, so Mike, who always kept in shape even when not training for a bout, and always ready for the phone to ring, stepped right into his first scheduled ten rounder, and delivered a fine, promotion preserving performance as a last second substitute (only three weeks after his previous match). This episode helped give fight fans an image of Mike as a responsible reliable professional, and he was superbly disciplined and stoic in his admirable training habits, as well as coming across as a likeable guy.

Finally, you might want to check out Mike's match with Eddie Davis. It was the closest any light heavyweight ever came to defeating Spinks. One journalist scored Spinks the winner from ringside, but when he went home and rescored the match off videotape, he had Davis the winner. If Mike could have been defeated as a light heavyweight, this was the bout to examine for clues. I remember Tim Ryan and Gil Clancy as doing a good job for CBS in broadcasting this one.

5. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021

6. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    The Ramon Ranquello fight is a clinic in using the jab to break a man down. Spinks used his lead left as a bludgeon in this fight.

It was Michael’s 11th fight and his first real step up in competition. Ranquello was basically a journeyman/upper-class club fighter but he was coming off a surprise KO of Mike Rossman in Rossman’s first fight back after losing his title in the rematch with Victor Galindez.