Micheal Moorer vs Tommy Morrison

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Apr 14, 2021.

Who takes it?

1. Tommy

51.4%
  2. Mike

48.6%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze No Fairy Tales• banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    So you talk down to people because you watched these guys hit a heavy bag, spar and fight in person?
    Are the films I am seeing of all those things wrong?

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  2. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
  3. Seamus

Seamus Devotee of the Little Red Book Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Moorer and Morrison were the same era, apples to apples. No need to argue difference in eras.

We can't use this argument for Bentt because he was injured so early in his career and had to call it a day. Now, you can always argue that Baer would have caused the same injury but that is highly suppositional.

My logic is ironclad in its consistency.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I suspect it might be similar to the Burt Cooper affair, which was an excellent fight.

fists of fury likes this.
  5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Classic discussion : small vs big, old vs modern banned Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I knew that would be your answer.

Fair enough. I don't think it's a strong argument anyway. Styles make fights and Moorer's history shows he has trouble against powerful, aggressive fighters. Tommy Morrison is exactly that. I favor Moorer too, but no need to pretend this is not a very dangerous fight for Mike.

6. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I'd wager to say that Moorer is the far more proven and resilient of the two when it comes facing the stiffer comp @ heavy.

Moorer also had the quicker hands & would light Tommy up with his combinations either on the inside or at range.
    I see no other outcome than a Moorer victory by tko unless Morrison lands a hail mary left hook. Even then, a hail mary might not be enough seeing as a prime Moorer was never stopped by one punch not including the Tua debacle in where he was washed up.

7. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Lol, how you figure it was a one punch ko?
    Did he not get punched throughout the 1st 9rds?
    Also, Foreman hit Moorer with a few hard shots in the 10th leading up to the 1st right that had him out on his feet and the follow up that laid him out on his back.
    That sir is not a one punch ko

8. Seamus

Seamus Devotee of the Little Red Book Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Unconvincing.

I was following the fights in the 90's, going to training camps, going to fights. Basically, I didn't have obligations and did as I pleased, especially during the early part of the decade. Tommy was never considered a serious threat, more a guy who could punch his pigment card after knocking over a bunch of has-beens. Moorer was taken much more seriously, although he also squandered his talents. He was just another level of fighter. Thus reflected in the Ring rankings I mentioned earlier.

It seems many want to rewrite history and that is fine. But they are move attached to their story than any concern about what actually went down.

9. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    The average Morrison gets knocked out by Moorer.
    But what about the version who put enormous pressure on an undentable chin (Ray Mercer) ? Moorer fought fire with fire often despite his boxing skills. That wouldn´t suit him against Morrison, who in my opinion would get to his chin quicker than vice versa. Moorer in Mercers shoes would get stopped.

BCS8 and Colonel Sanders like this.
  10. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Classic discussion : small vs big, old vs modern banned Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Seamus, what does it matter how they were perceived back then for this fantasy fight exercise? I do not need to know any of that as I have plenty of footage to study. I can come to my own conclusions. There is no secret. Morrison was a glass cannon, but a cannon nevertheless. Moorer is an objectively superior fighter, but a demonstrably vulnerable one. This paradigm does not translate into betting the house on Moorer imo.

In the span of a few days, you've picked Byrd to destroy Sharkey in 8, Bentt to dominate Baer, and you won't even admit Morrison is dangerous for a man who got ended in a few seconds by Tua. None of this appears rational to me.

fists of fury likes this.
  11. Colonel Sanders

Sep 13, 2012
    Looking at the particulars of a match is not allowed.

12. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    When Holyfield wasn't suffering a heart attack he was destroyed Moorer. Uppercuts and hooks put Moorer down hard. Punches Tommy throws hard and fast.
    Outside of a Vander on the verge of a stroke , who did Moorer beat at HW? Nobody.

He had cement feet and average hand speed. Anybody who thinks he had faster hands then Tommy is either deluded or intentionally telling porkies just to support their argument

Show me a MM hand speed highlight reel .. Ill wait.

The Morrison who beat Foreman would obliterate Moorer

Toney F*** U likes this.
  13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Moorer should win this by KO inside 5 rounds.
    Morrison was more Bert Cooper / Alex Stewart level.

14. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    You've got two less-than-durable heavies who can really punch, and who both showed vulnerability in the ring.
    Ring rankings and who beat who often falls away in this sort of matchup, because one punch can change things in a hurry.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  15. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    In this fight Morrison`s combo`s just had decent speed, nothing special: