Micheal Moorer vs Tommy Morrison

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Apr 14, 2021.

Who takes it?

1. Tommy

51.4%
  2. Mike

48.6%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I have to say, I feel bad for Tommy sometimes. He consistently gets written off in fantasy matchups and often only his flaws are discussed.
    He wasn't a crude slugger with just a left hook.
    He showed good technical ability and knew how to set up his shots. His right hand often gets overlooked as well.
    His problem throughout his career was his crazy, wild, playboy lifestyle, which lead to inconsistency and embarrassing losses such as the one to Bentt.
    Here is a guy who would show up to training reeking of booze sometimes.
    But he had talent.
    In his bigger fights, which he took more seriously, and where he put in a good shift at the gym, he could give all but the likes of Lewis a good fight.

Moorer, to me at least, never looked that convincing. Yes he too had talent, but he often displayed a strange reticence and lack of creativity. I'd say Tommy was actually more adaptable as a fighter.
    And Mike was no more durable than Tommy.
    He may have been over the hill when he fought Tua but c'mon, that fight was over so quickly, he didn't even have the chance to show us he was over the hill.

I'm sure Tommy will lose this poll by a landslide (haven't checked) but I'm glad some posters are not just writing him off. He deserves better.

Balder, BCS8 and Colonel Sanders like this.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    The poll is neck and neck.
    In fact, Morrison is ahead, 14 votes, to 13 for Moorer.

fists of fury likes this.
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I have no idea where this revisionism to make Morrison a top-flight player of his era comes from.

Carl "The Truth" Williams was probably the most made-to-measure 1980s contender imaginable for Morrison.
    Inadequate chin, very open to left hooks, not a great deal of KO power .....
    ..... AND he wasn't even a contender any longer, when they fought in '93, he was a few years past his sell-by date, slowed down. He'd lost to journeyman Jerry Jones the previous year. In his prime Mike Weaver and Mike Tyson had finished him in 2 and 1 rounds respectively.
    He was virtually a set-up to make Morrison look great, if Morrison had been any good.

Watch the fight. Prime Morrison went life-and-death with him, struggled badly. The fight lasted into the 9th round.
    That's Morrison against a guy who had all the weaknesses that play to Morrison's strengths, and a has-been too.

Morrison just wasn't much good. He nicked a decision against Foreman, who later went on to score a KO of Moorer, which is all anyone has to latch onto if they want to pick Morrison to beat Moorer.

fists of fury and Kamikaze like this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'd agree with that. Moorer was ahead on skills but I believe that Tommy had enough skill to land the big stuff on him sooner or later. I don't fancy Moorer's durability against Morrison's left hook. Lest we forget

This content is protected

5. fists of fury

Oct 25, 2006
    I just checked. :D

6. fists of fury

Oct 25, 2006
    I think he was good. But you make a very good point about the Williams fight.

7. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Michael Bent. Tommy was batterred by Mercer and Lewis.

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Nobody in the 1990's took Morrison as seriously (in a boxing, not moneymaking, sense) as some here do in the 2020's.

mark ant likes this.
  9. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012

I do not think it is people overrating Morrison. But underrating him. This is more about Moorer and how vulnerable he was to big punchers.

Morrison had beautiful combinations, stunning power, a money left hook. He was also fast and adaptable and would be hell for any fighter for 4 rounds.

If it was not for stamina ( training) issues, and a slightly shaky chin, he would have ruled over several belts.

His later fights are amazing as he was already suffering from Aids and the fact that he was still a contender for several years after getting it, is a testament to his ability. Morrison will always be a tragedy, because what could have been.

In any case, I STILL enjoy watching all his fights, and that is something I cannot say about many fighters and fights that I have seen.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    BCS8 likes this.
  10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Funny... Back when he was actually around and boxing people were actually watching him firsthand we saw a tight, chinny frontrunner who had no plan B, no gas tank and had problems with focus and preparation. Thus, he only appears on two Annual Ring Top 10 lists, both times at the bottom.

And not to slag on the guy, he was legit tough. He took some epic beatings like a man. And he had pop and good handspeed for a few rounds. But the couple true elite guys he faced (who weren't geriatric) figured him out with relative ease.

11. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Tommy didn`t have beautiful combo`s they were just like Moorer`s except less accurate.

12. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    The first thing to go are the legs in a shot fighter. . Williams was still quick on his feet here. He was nimble , his jab was sharp and he had good reflexes. . This was not the husk of Carl Williams like Tommys haters would have you believe. . His legs were better than Moorers , but Tommy still got to him and put him away.

This content is protected

13. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Because he fights southpaws so well right ????? Struggled with hipp and valuin!!! Michael moorers southpaw jab would really throw Morrison off and get kod

AwardedSteak863 likes this.
  14. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Moorer struggled with Botha who was a slower and weaker version of Morrision. Give Botha Morrison left hook and he slinks Moorer into the ether

Balder likes this.
  15. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Moorer was a bit past it in 96 —- let’s talk 1994 Morrison v moorer ???? And Botha would give Morrison fits

mark ant likes this.