Mike Tyson 1987/88 vs. Muhammad Ali 1974/75

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Drago, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Drago

Drago Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    This is a fight i would like to discuss.

Imo a 1964-1967 Ali would have won via late TKO or UD, he was even too fast overall for prime Tyson.

But how would a slower Ali from the Rumble in the Jungle and the Thrilla in Manila deal with Tyson at his absolute best?

Lets face it: As much many ppl say Tyson is overrated, if you take a scale from 0-10, he would be compared to Frazier and Foreman like this:

Speed:
    Tyson 9
    Frazier 8
    Foreman 8
    (Prime Ali) 10

Power:
    Tyson 9
    Frazier 8
    Foreman 10
    (Prime Ali) 7

Heart:
    Tyson 5
    Frazier 10
    Foreman 8-9
    (Prime Ali) 10

Chin:
    Tyson 8
    Frazier 9
    Foreman 7
    (Prime Ali) 9

Recover ability:
    Tyson 6
    Frazier 10
    Foreman 9
    (all versions of Ali) 10

PS: The Ali-Frazier fights were primary so damn great since both guys have a 10 in heart and recover ability.
    A 10 in chin would be guys like Chuvalo and McCall, thats why i dont give any of them a 10 here.

When it comes to the package of speed and power, its clear a prime Tyson would be more dangerous as Frazier or Foreman, since he was faster then both of them but almost as strong as Foreman.

Some ppl believe a 20-22 years old Tyson would have beaten a 31-33 years old Ali. Because Foreman didnt have the speed and Frazier didnt have the power on both sides to hurt Ali enough.

Your thoughts?

2. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    I haven’t studied Ali to any degree to be fair. He seemed to get hit, or take some punishment in the fights of his I’ve seen footage of (mid 70’s onwards).
    I think a prime Tyson gives Ali a lot of problems & stops the Ali of that era.
    Prime v Prime is hard to call, but Mike Tyson would always be danger. He was a monster.
    Ali at his peak, could dance, move and frustrate anyone, I’m sure.
    I probably sway towards Tyson overall. Just !

3. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Ali all day

4. Truthmachine

Truthmachine New Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've always felt that Ali from The Thrilla In Manila had the combination of handspeed/accuracy, experience, tactics, ruggedness and stamina to take Tyson into deep waters and drown him, but who knows.

rinsj likes this.
  5. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I’m picking Tyson based on the fact that he’s the better version of Frazier

Sangria, BCS8, boxingjunky and 2 others like this.
  6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    It's always hard to judge these different versions of Ali vs. the different versions of Tyson.

And the one unique factor that always comes into play with Ali is his psychological warfare. We all know Tyson had self esteem and self image issues, even his biggest fans will admit this. Tyson's intimidation factor likely wouldn't work on Ali. Foreman and Liston couldn't intimidate Ali so I don't see how Mike could do it. So this all spells for a recipe for disaster for Mike Tyson who should win this fight as he has the speed, power, strength, defense advantage and the style advantage which is perhaps the most important advantage.

But as anyone knows, if your mind isn't into whatever task or job you're doing, you won't do well ... And Ali would capitalize on that.

The best athletes at any sport are usually always mentally strong. Mentally slipping and naivety is what caused Tyson's downfall in the first place.

So Tyson should win this but Ali is the man who finds ways to win when he should lose.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Sangria, KidGalahad and Shahpoor Saiq like this.
  7. salty trunks

salty trunks Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It would come down to intestinal fortitude. I think Tyson was the better fighter, He had inside and outside skills, and fierce power and determination, but Ali was one of those freaks who could take it and take your will to win. I think a focused Tyson at his peak could beat Ali and force him to retreat and fight from the outside all night but who knows we never saw Tyson tested at his best by a fighter of Alis caliber.

Sangria likes this.
  8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I love when you guys give #s to rate fighters skills. Like your biased opinion is word. Ali destroys Tyson psychologically before the fight even begins. Tyson can't hurt Ali. Ali KO 6. And you better believe King is on Ali's side.

young griffo likes this.
  9. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    No he is not. Actually he fights nothing like Frazier. Frazier was a great inside fighter. Tyson was an inside clincher. Apples & oranges.

moneytheman12 and young griffo like this.
  10. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    He’s got a similar head movement that would make him a hard target for the jab. I also think 88 Tyson can slip Ali’s jab and land his own at times, he was a good jabber considering his size disadvantage

11. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    Oh so they’re complete opposites because of one aspect:lol:

Sangria likes this.
  12. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    he did not have similar head movement. Frazier moved his whole body. D'Umbasso's peekaboo was a nightmare. Besides Pat and Mike and Torres who he ruined each of who used it ?. Rooney. Decapitated easily by Arguello after easily timing the pendulum back and forth movement. Pay real attention to styles.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  13. The Morlocks

Nov 21, 2009
    No. They are complete opposites because they fight completely different.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think at that point I’d go with Tyson

15. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    I’d say complete opposites is Tyson’s and Ali’s style. It may look different because Tyson was a lot better

Sangria likes this.