Mike Tyson (1988) Vs Jack Dempsey (1919-21) 15 Rd Heavyweight Fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sugarsean, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Tyson by obliteration, early. IMO

2. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Tyson would beat Dempsey, Marciano, and Frazier.

3. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    For this scenario I picked Tyson, and because of their styles I picked an early stoppage; that doesn't mean I see this as a mismatch.

Would slightly favor Dempsey if the two came along at the same time.

4. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    This is why there are weight divisions. Dempsey is about thirty pounds of solid muscle lighter.

Who would pick Stanley Ketchel over Marciano ? Really little difference as a match up ...

5. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    tyson early they are both going fly at each other and tyson looks faster and has the better defence,also i doubt dempsey was ever hit as hard and fast as tyson would hit him.this does'nt mean i dont think dempsey would'nt hurt tyson if he csaught him

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007

There was plenty between Sharky and a flabby Wlalker, too, but not as much as there was between Chagaev and Valuev.

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that those dismising Dempseys chances are in something of a hurry.

What has got lost in the mists of history is just how dangerous Dempsey was as a puncher. He was every bit as dangerous as Tyson but in a subtley different way.

The real wildcard in this is Dempseys infighting ability. That is the one area where he has a big edge over Tyson technicaly. Holyfield was able to dismantle a faded Mike Tyson by working inside his minimum punching distance and it is possible that Dempsey could do the same (depending on how a number of things play out).

The other wildcard is how Dempsey's mobility would come into play if at all.

Yet a third wildcard is that Dempsey was more dancerous in terms of setting up a single counter. He didn't just get stuck in like Tyson he could set traps as well.

I see Tyson as having the edge in durability though Dempsey was much more effective at fighting when hurt and if it came down to who wantede it more then Dempsey is going to want it more.

8. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    If you compared Dempseys tale of the tape to Tysons it would become apparent that you were not matching a Ketchel against a Marciano.

9. SpanishArcher

SpanishArcher Knockout Artist Full Member

Jul 9, 2009
    You are forgetting one thing, Jack Dempsey was small. At 6'1 he was only from 180-190 pounds. He is simply too small to deal with Tysons incredible explosive power, and come on, no Dempsey doesnt have the same power as Tyson. Dempsey was a great puncher in his day - when was that? He is an old school fighter, you cant take Dempsey from 1920 and throw him in with Tyson of 1988 its absurd. Its like you would race someone with a car from 1920 and a car from 1988. And no matter how dangerous Dempsey was BACK THEN, I dont think he would hurt Tyson. Tyson fought bigger punchers and went through their best shots.
    I repeat, Dempsey was around 185 pounds, put him in cruiserweight he's a great puncher, but againts modern heavys?
    Its nice to nostalgic and all but lets also be realisitc. Too many people look back at those days with emotions rather then reality. Tyson KO1 is the only possible outcome.
    Oh, and Tyson had pretty good in fighting ability wich he was developing before he sacked Rooney. Holmes and then Tubbs fight show a development in this area and even after in the Ruddock fights he still has it when he isnt lazy so I wouldnt say Dempsey has a HUGE advantage here. And the Holyfield thing isnt valid. Evander was a bigger, stronger fighter who fought a past prime Tyson. And Tyson was never a fighter who would fight using his physical strenght, he didnt mind getting pushed (even Williams and Green did it ocassionaly) he relyed on speed and explosivness. And still, Dempseys infighting ability wouldnt matter anyway, he would be knocked out probably in the first 30 seconds anyway - if he went to brawl with Tyson. Otherwise he may survive a round or two.

10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006

11. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Not a mismatch but Tyson wins in 5.

12. sugarsean

sugarsean Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    gotta disagree with you there about Dempsey being better than Holyfield
    , Holyfield has much greater footwork, techniancal skills, ring craft, defense and better combination punching, I don't see how anyone could think Dempsey is a greater fighter than Holyfield. ( Jack is a great fighter though )

explain how Jack is the better fighter, please

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey is my man ,but I have to point out that neither Valuev nor Sharkey were punchers.

14. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    That is also why Muhammad Ali would stand no chance against Lennox Lewis. No chance at all.

15. pugilist_boyd

pugilist_boyd BUSTED UP PUG Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    First couple of rounds could go either way ,but dempsey could win 2 ways out gun the gunslinger or outbox tyson which in his prime i believe he could do