Mike Tyson 1988 vs. Wladimir Klitschko 2009

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Omega74, Apr 30, 2021.

Who wins?

1. Tyson by KO

76 vote(s)
    83.5%
  2. Klitschko by KO

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Tyson by UD

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Klitschko by UD

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Meanwhile in real life Tyson couldn't handle Buster Douglas ;)

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    What bothers me about Wladimir is not so much his KO losses, but his loss to Fury.

The title was slipping away, bus he didn't let his hands go. Fury was content to peck and feint his way to a decision. He wasn't throwing big monster shots that were Hurting Wladimir. Wladimir was never hurt or put under extreme pressure.
    Yet still, Klitschko just wouldn't take that risk and fight outside his comfort zone. He sold his title quite cheaply, if I'm honest. Just wouldn't take that chance.

He fought much better against Joshua, but again when he had the chance to perhaps get Joshua out of there, he held back, letting the chance slip, which ultimately cost him.

It just speaks to me of where he was at, from a mentality point of view. Not a risk-taker at all. It's been a long time since I've seen such a risk-averse fighter.
    Nobody likes to get hit. Obviously. But at the elite level, you're going to have to take that chance from time to time. Either that, or you turn into Bonehugger Smith.

So with that said, Klitschko would have to have everything go his way. I think its unlikely. I can't see his usual way of fighting working here, not all the time. Maybe not at all.
    So what happens if Tyson makes his usual fast, aggressive start, and Wladimir is put on the back foot? Is he mentally capable of overcoming his adverse reaction to getting hit or put out of his comfort zone?
    I don't know.
    History suggests not.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think the version of Klitschko who had mastered the jab-and-hug style would prove very difficult for Tyson.
    Tyson should win the first 5 rounds, but the second half of the fight would be interesting.

4. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Well firstly Wlad wasn't in the right mental space for the Fury fight, period. The rematch would have been very interesting, after Wlad threw more punches in the 12th and seemed to realise that he had to be aggressive to win against Fury.

But secondly Fury is a difficult stylistic matchup for Wlad anyway. Wlad likes to out think his opponents and to control the match at range. Fury's feints and mindgames make out thinking him difficult and frankly a trap, and Fury himself is very adept at fighting at range given his huge wingspan and style.

I think Wlad's normal gameplan is exactly what would suit him against a small HW like Tyson, who can do nothing to him at range and who will get smothered inside. Tyson repeatedly was frustrated and had difficulty with much lesser fighters that would hug him.

Now, if the referee started docking points from Wlad early on for clinching, then I could see the rationale for favouring a guy like Tyson over Klitschko.

5. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    You don't win rounds without connecting with clean power shots.. You mean to tell me that Klitschko can come out for round 6 as if the punishment from the first 5 had no effect on him?
    What sort of ludicrous position is that to take?

6. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    But that style was illegal and was only allowed on his home turff with his own personal ref. Frank Bruno tried holding Tyson in the rematch but was denied by Mills Lane. . Fantasy fights are fought on fair terms with giving advantages to either side.

7. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    What stats? Do you think Tyson would have a harder time reaching Klitschko than Sam Peters?

8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    No, that's not what I'm saying.
    And that's the interesting thing about the fight. How much punishment can his hugging style save him from in the early rounds ?
    Tyson will land some, and that will take a toll on Klitschko, but if Klitschko hugs well enough he reduces that toll, and in the meantime his hugging and leaning will tire Tyson a bit too.
    That's why the second half of the fight might get interesting.

9. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    When you talk boxing you make so much sense. Hat tip.

10. Alexandrow Vids

Alexandrow Vids Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Many people will not want to hear this but "Buster Douglas" is actually better
    than all opponents in Wlad Klitschkos record except Fury.

After Lewis left, the heavyweight division died and has not yet recovered.

Douglas would give Anthony Joshua one hell of a fight.

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    But Tyson would be the A side if he was around during Wlads era and also the A side if Wlad was around during his.

The fight is held in the States with a proper ref. Those who tried to clinch and hug Tyson were docked points (Smith) or straight up DQ'd (Ferguson)
    In the Brewster fight he wasn't allowed to hold excessively. He was rushed to hospital after 5 rounds as a result.

We're discussing who would win in a boxing match here , not who would in at grappling. .

12. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I'd love to see Wlad DQ'd for hugging.

13. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    I asked what stats you speak of and you proceed to make a bunch of stuff up. Do you believe Tyson would find it harder than Sam Peter to reach Klitschko? Waiting on an answer.

14. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
  15. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    This is pure nonsense. He was in trouble badly against Peters but your excuse is Wlad "chose" to perform that way?? Again with making stuff up cos the fantasy doesn't reflect the reality.
    Klitschko fought the way he fought. There's 10 years of evidence to draw form and during that time he was the same in EVERY fight.. Jab , lean, jab , hold , grab , push, head lock , back hump . . Rinse n repeat.
    There is no secret performance he would magically pull out of a hat against Tyson.