Mike Tyson: Beyond The Glory

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Addie, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Addie

Addie Myung Woo Yuh! Full Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I just watched this wonderful documentary on the Heavyweight knockout artist Mike Tyson.

Prior to watching the documentary, I didn't really know a great deal about Tyson apart from the obvious. He bit Holyfield's ear, had been to prison, convicted of ****, and most importantly in the context of this forum, I knew he was a dominant champion. However, there were a number of things that absolutely shocked me.

There was a moment where Teddy Atlas was brought into the frame, giving his take on Tyson back in the day, how he used to help him train, that sort of thing. Suddenly, it all got very dark very sudden, and Teddy told the camera how Tyson touched an 11 year old girls "butt", who just happened to be a member of Teddy Atlas' family. "This was not to be tolerated", said Atlas, who continued the story by telling the camera how he put a gun to Tyson's head and explained how he'd never ever violate member of his family again. :shock:

Also, I thought it was pretty obvious throughout the documentary that everytime Tyson's first wife would come into the frame, she'd put on a shoe. She was fake, and would pretend to be emotionally involved, which she was, but I doubt to the extent she was making out. I didn't buy it. She probably was beaten reguarly, but she had no problems with walking away with Tyson's money. No problems with that at all. It's saddening to think Tyson involved himself with people like this, who used him, and it's pretty much no wonder that he went off the rails.

I'd feel sorry for Tyson at points, whereas others I'd just think, "what the hell are you doin' man?" Some things he said in interviews and press conferences were completely shocking, and although I'm not to politically correct myself, Tyson was out of line. Still, do you think there was a point in time where Tyson had just stopped caring about anything and everything. Lost his wife, lost his trainer, his mother and sister, and was always swarmed by press.

Any thoughts?

2. emanuel_augustus

emanuel_augustus Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    I remember watching this a few years ago on Fox. Well done and interesting, but still doesn't change the fact that Tyson is raping scum.

We are all responsible for our own actions. Something Tyson has never understood.

3. Gerard

Gerard Active Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2006
    I too thought that Robin Givens was putting up an act and was completely phoney. Sometimes very obviously too.
    And I don't know what to think about the act with Atlas. Tyson was a minor then so it's not like it was an illegal relationship. When i was a kid i grabbed some girls ass too (Who didn't? and yes,...i know it is wrong. But i was a kid back then:p).

4. Gerard

Gerard Active Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Dude this is the USA justice system.
    Innocent people get convicted quite some time as do guilty people get acquitted. It happens from time to time as the system isn't perfect.

If in a ****-case there is no direct evidence and it's a wealthy man against a girl with a bad rep (who falsely accused men of **** before) then i tend to lean to the gold-digger case.
    I don't know if Tyson did or didn't **** her but I do think that in this case with the evidence at that time he shouldn't have been convicted.

5. mario

mario Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2007
    desiree washington accused another man of raping her as a teen because she feared she was pregnant and did not want her father to know she had consensual sex and voluntarily gave up her virginity, the case against the man was dropped because she admitted she lied, this was not allowed to be admited at tyson's **** trial, it was bull****, his conviction was a set up and his lawyers made sure he was put away as part of king's plan to keep tyson under wraps because he was messing up in and out of the ring, king figured if he could put tyson on ice for a bit it would regenerate the publics interest in him, not that it left but he lost some mystique when he lost to buster

6. Danny

Danny Guest

I'm not making excuses, but there are only two people who know exactly what the truth is in respect of Tyson/Washington etc.

You may have an opinion on what events took place, but you do not actually know what happened at all.

7. El Bombasto

El Bombasto Ask yo momma Full Member

May 23, 2006
    This content is protected

8. Sizzle

Sizzle Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    "When y'all show me love, I hate you, because I don't like myself - So I gotta Catch22 with my own indemnities"

His quote from the documentary :good

9. Club Fighter

Club Fighter Boxing Addict banned

Oct 12, 2005
    This was awesome. It had all the most memorable quotes Tyson ever produced.

10. mochabuzz

mochabuzz Active Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2005
    It didn't help that Don King got Vince Fuller (King's tax attorney) to represent Tyson in a **** trial. Tyson should have got Johnny Cochran! lol

11. jhar26

jhar26 Member Full Member

Dec 23, 2004
    He was a dynamite fighter, but as a person....Let's just say that he was a man who could have had it all and ended up with nothing - both financially and emotionally - and he only has himself to blame for it. It's typical that it's always the women in his life that get the blame for his abuse of them. Not that they were saints - far from it - but that still doesn't excuse his own behavior. If he was just another guy in the street he would be just another wife beater, coke head and/or psycho. But since he's the big celebrity boxer it's him that's the victim. Having said that, I've got nothing against Mike and I'm all for giving people a second, third, fourth, or whatever chance. Question is whether he will ever be able to straighten himself out even if he gets twenty chances to redeem himself and stay out of trouble.