Mike Tyson in his prime vs Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by NoChin, Feb 10, 2024.

1. NoChin

NoChin Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 1, 2023
    I believe he beats them both. No, not at the same time. Although on the street anything is possible. Mike was a ferocious Lion after all.

Can those that are unbiased tell me what would be most likely to happen post-Douglas before he went to jail? I'm getting the feeling Evander beats him. But a prime Mike, He'd win.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  2. AngryBirds

AngryBirds Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    He has Holyfield beat in the power, chin and experience department. Holyfield though has him beat in the style, willpower and tactics department. Despite that, I would predict a a solid victory for Tyson, probably KO by the mid-rounds with emphasis being on body punching to sow down Holyfields better speed/momentum. Its say to say nobody ever got in Mikes head like Holyfield did, but at the same time 90-92 Tyson shows he could adapt to fight tactically against threads such as Ruddock instead of, say, winging it like with Tillman and Stewart.

This all assumes Holyfield doesn't get into Mikes head though. If he does then Holyfield would likely beat him.

NoChin likes this.
  3. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    It is at this time that I again remind everyone about "Evan Fields." Of Course Tyson would have won--he was a better fighter. Evander's heavyweight success came primarily from using HGH, one of the most potent PEDs, at a time when there was no testing.

Lennox--that's harder to call.

rinsj, SmackDaBum, Reinhardt and 4 others like this.
  4. themostoverrated

themostoverrated Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2022
    Most likely result against Holyfield - Tyson loses.

Most likely result against Lewis - Tyson loses.

5. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    A near prime Mike Tyson lost to Holyfield twice over. Holyfield bullied Tyson in both those fights and would beat the prime version as well.

A prime Lewis beats a prime Tyson as well.

Mike Tyson gets overrated based on a collection of highlight reel knock outs.

lordlosh likes this.
  6. KO_King

KO_King Horizontal Heavyweight Full Member

Apr 16, 2023
    I'm not quite sure if you mean prime for prime or if Tyson fought both of them in the early 90s before prison? Because the dynamic changes for each of them.
    '91 I'd pick Mike to beat both a green Lewis and an unestablished at the weight Holyfield - even after the Douglas loss.
    Prime for prime I would choose Tyson over Holyfield (in a tough fight) and Lewis over Tyson.

NoChin likes this.
  7. kostya by ko

kostya by ko Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2005
    This is Tyson with defence in his game.

8. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Holyfield beats Tyson in his prime, Lennox Lewis is a toss-up.

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  9. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Absolute best version of all there men when they meet....

Lennox beats both Mike and Evander.

And Mike beats Evander.

ikrasevic and NoChin like this.
  10. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Prime Iron Mike was the best Heavyweight I ever saw. Anyone who fought him in his prime got hit on the chin hard & often. What happens to Lennox when that happens? It reportedly did happen in a sparring session when they were both up and comers. I asked Mike Tyson about that once and his response was "I was the best at that age". I interpreted his response as meaning "I beat the crap out of him".

Outside of his prime (post 1988), both Lennox & Evander have too much for Mike Tyson. Post 1988, Iron Mike couldn't put together 12 hard rounds. That would be needed to finish in front of Evander.

kostya by ko, AdamT and NoChin like this.
  11. HistoryZero26

HistoryZero26 Active Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2024
    Tyson is younger than Lewis and Holyfield. Yes he became champ first and went to prison but this question has always felt like Tyson fans looking for a route to elevate him above guys who beat him. Typically when the "would loser beat winner in their prime" question is asked the loser of said fight is older and signifigantly older.

Tysons dominance was because he wasn't fighting the best fighters of his era. That was not Tysons fault and you can only beat the fighters the ABCs put in front of you but when this wasn't the case that dominance wasn't there. And that was true at all stages of his career whether it be Tucker, Buster, Ruddock, Holyfield or Lewis. And yes I'm saying in hindsight Tucker and Buster were better than Holmes and Spinks at least when Tyson fought them. On the flipside Tyson destroyed lesser fighters in the 80s and 90s and even the early 00s very consistantly.

Smoochie, slash and NoChin like this.
  12. NoChin

NoChin Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 1, 2023
    Yep. ****en oath he was on it. He started at Cruiser or whatever. See the size of his shoulders vs Tyson?

****ing drug cheat. But then again, who's to say Mike wasn't on it?

13. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Man I just wish Holyfield-Tyson would have happened in '91. :(

Smoochie, slash and AdamT like this.
  14. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Holyfield beat him when he was in his “prime”

he might’ve been a little past his prime when Lennox beat him, but not that far past it

I think you’re taken away from the skills of Lewis and Holyfield when you say they had to face a “ past his prime” Tyson

Tyson was not that old, and he was in fantastic condition…. stop making excuses

“Prime” Tyson was thoroughly beaten by Douglas, Holyfield, and Lewis

You need to come with the grips with the fact they were just better fighter than Tyson. Period

Tyson seemed so invincible because no other fighters on the world level were there in the early to mid 80s.. and when they started showing up, he started getting beaten

15. ikrasevic

ikrasevic "Conspiracy Theorist" :) Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    IMO 1988 Mike Tyson would beat 1992-93 Holyfield.
    1988 Mike Tyson Vs. 2000 Lewis is more complicated and requires a separate topic; 55 percent I think the 2000 Lewis would win in that fight.