Mike Tyson: The most overrated of all time

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Check_Hook, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ayala

ayala Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 21, 2007
    When he boxed buster he wasn't around the team that brought him to that stage and he didn't take him seriously although I still thought he should have won by knockout in the 8th and all the other fights I just believe he lost interest in boxing so really didn't go to his potential especially with McBride and I trained with McBride after and he is lousy

2. Imperial1

Imperial1 VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Anyone with half a brain knows that the Tyson under Cus and Rooney and the one with out were two completely different fighters ..

Even Mike acknowledge this ..

3. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    Without resorting to pathetic fanboy excuses I would like you ( or any other tyson freak ) to explain EXACTLY how a 23 year old is a " shadow of his former self " when in the previous 2 years starting at ONLY 21 he KO's Tubbs, Spinks, Bruno, and Williams in a combined total of 9 rounds?

Tubbs TKO 2
    Spinks KO 1
    Bruno TKO 5
    Williams TKO 1

You see when his record is written down, it looks even more stupid than the excuse mongers claim, doesn't it?

4. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    So basically Tyson fan boys are admitting that Tyson was ONLY ever as good as Old Tomato, and Kevin Rooney wanted him to be. Without them he was fvcking clueless. Yeah, I'll go with that.

That is as good an example of over rated as any.

5. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Well, it's not Tyson's fault his opposition was weak.

6. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ike Ibeabuchi was the natural successor to Lennox Lewis. The Klitschko's would be forgotten when Ike ruled the world.
    The reason he didn't make it was because he called a lying gold digging hooker then got railroaded by a corrupt justice system

7. RememberingC.S.

RememberingC.S. Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Ali is, the most overrated of all times.

Tyson holds a solid second place.

8. RememberingC.S.

RememberingC.S. Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 9, 2012
    True or false, this logic is like to say "even David Haye acknowledge he only lost because of a pinky little toe"

9. Jesus

Jesus Member Full Member

May 4, 2014
    By no means am I a Tyson fan boy, but I agree with that statement.

Physically, he was not a shadow of himself. The problem with Mike Tyson as you and everyone knows were mental demons. Once the death of Jimmy Jacobs occured, Tyson was a sitting duck and Don King came in. Then Givens and him divorced.

He was a manic depressive, he wanted to commit suicide, he wasn't training at all. His fights before Douglas, he had become a head hunter, impatient, wanted to knock the opponent out and go home.

Watch what his trainer says in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnstZV734Eg. Mike refused to train, run, or do any activities. He was dropped in training by Greg Page. He was DONE before he got into that ring that night. It was unfortunately exposed in a televised fight as far as where he was mentally.

He still managed to knock down a VERY GAME Douglas, but alas it was not enough. Don't get me wrong, Douglas that night was possessed and looked fantastic. I don't want to take anything away from that but Douglas was never able to duplicate that type of training camp again.

To me, Tyson was done once he took for granted what he had. Lastly, he had to work 100000x harder than anyone to be that great. I think he burnt out. Unlike Ali who was naturally tall and very gifted

10. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    What a lot of people dont know is that Givens and her mum were having Tyson drugged at that time for his 'mental issues'. Tyson himself said he felt fine and didnt like these drugs as they kept making him drowsy, but Givens carried on giving them to him.

And Don King also had an iron curtain built around Tyson, nobody was allowed to speak to him withou Kings permission, all phone calls and post was checked by King before it was passed to Tyson.

Tyson had an $8m cheque which he gave to King to take care of, Tyson never saw the cheque again.

11. keenly

keenly Active Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Tyson was the most NATURALLY GIFTED HW of all time. His hand speed and power was phenomenal. He just did not have the mental focus and dedication.