Mike Tyson v. Ali's title opposition 1965 - '67

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Unforgiven, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    How would a prime Tyson do ?

I'll leave off Liston because I think it's inconceivable that Sonny could ever underestimate a young Mike Tyson like he did Cassius Clay, so I cannot imagine that Feb.1964 version of Liston ever stepping in the ring with Tyson. And the Liston of the Ali fight (Lewiston, Me. 1965) is another whole can of worms.

So, I will say

Tyson KO1 Patterson
    Tyson TKO5 Chuvalo
    Tyson KO1 Cooper
    Tyson KO1 London
    Tyson KO1 Mildenberger
    Tyson KO1 Williams
    Tyson PTS Terrell
    Tyson KO1 Folley

2. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Ali's title opposition was decent pre exile (Terrell, Patterson were very good) but I'd expect Tyson along with pretty much every other ATG HW to have their way with this crew.

Terrell could trouble a lot of fighters who are ranked highly, though.

TipNom and Vince Voltage like this.
  3. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Which corner is Cus D'Amato in for the Patterson fight? Or are there two clones staring at each other from across the ring?

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He's in Patterson's if he was still there in 1965 (was he?).
    He's not in Tyson's.

5. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    In that case, Tyson breaks down crying when he sees his dead mentor helping his opponent, and the fight is ruled a no contest.

6. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    :lol:

7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    This seems about right. The only opponent of Ali in the 60's that would have a chance against Tyson is Liston. That would be interesting.

8. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Most likely like that, though i think a few would at least make it out of the first round. Mildenberger, for instance, could trouble Mike for a few rounds. Did Tyson ever fought a southpaw?

Conversely, i think Tyson breaks down Terrel to a 8-12th round stoppage.

9. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Gotta disagree with Tyson stopping Terrell. Terrell clinched excessively in many of his fights in which he wasn't even in trouble, this fight would be a replay of Tysons fight Smith/Tucker here. Terrell, knowing he's in danger, would clinch and clinch and clinch some more.

PS, I've never thought of Tyson never facing a southpaw. I don't think he ever did?

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It all dpends when Tyson looses focus.

When he looses focus he is on borrowed time.

11. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    Haha, you ****in sicko. Haha.

cross_trainer likes this.
  12. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Cus D'Amato would be in Patterson's corrner. Kiven Roony was Tyson's trainer in his prime after the passing of D'Amato.

Tockah and cross_trainer like this.
  13. junior-soprano

junior-soprano Active Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2009
    well i think tyson beats them all easily. except liston from whom he would loose. and mike would have trouble with patterson. he would get him in the end but it would be tough. cause i think floyd would be at least just as fast as mike maybe even faster and that would frustrate mike a lot and a frustrated mike wouldn't think clearly anymore. but floyd his weak point was his chin. so in the later rounds mike would get him.

14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    If he can maintain focus from 1964 to 1967, then I'd say he does fine, because 3 years was about the duration of his peak. Additionally, he may do okay even after things go sour. He was still a force in the 90's as we saw against Ruddock, Stewart, Bruno, Golata and a few others. The only fighter that I'd pick to beat Tyson in the 60's is Ali, and while it should be an obvious pick, its still not a given.

15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Patterson would have Cus. Tyson would have the protege Rooney. Tyson beats Floyd early.

cross_trainer likes this.