Mike Tyson vs. Riddick Bowe Discussed as Tyson's first fight after release.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TheMikeLake, Jun 22, 2020.

1. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Why does everyone think Tyson has stamina problems?

Sangria likes this.
  2. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I think Bowe wins but I'm not sure. Remember Bowe was dropped and out on his feet by a sickly Holyfield.

Sangria likes this.
  3. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I've always had Bowe as number 1 heavyweight ahead of Holyfield and Tyson. If we are talking about 91 to 93, when he's fully trained and focused he beats everyone in the division including Lewis. He was a young unified champion for a reason.

4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Now this is funny. Bowe got off the floor to beat Holyfield, 2 things Tyson never did in his entire career. You really don't want to start comparing Bowe's chin to Tyson's.
    Before prison he didn't. After prison it's not so much that he had poor stamina, its that if you could survive the first few rounds, Tyson's power faded pretty quickly. He only had one stoppage past the 7th round.

5. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Lennox was being overly cautious with Tyson. It is quite an exaggeration to paint the picture that Lennox was hammering Tyson with everything but the kitchen sink from round 1-8. Emmanuel Stewart actually had yell at him to let his hands go.

Also comparing Bowe to Bruno has got to be one of the funniest comparisons of all time. The lengths fanboys will go to make absurd claims is a wonder of the human mind.

6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I found the comparison to Bruno to be pretty farfetched and erroneous as well.

Lewis was cautious imo due to the two kos by Rahman and McCall. Being that Mike was a more vicious puncher than either, there is some call for this. That said, the fight should have been over two rounds before it was, it was obvious after the first few rounds there was no way Mike was going to win, or even survive.

However, it bears mentioning how courageous Mike was that he never really quit.

7. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    I do give Mike credit for going out on his shield, I was just dispelling the myth that Lennox was unloading on Tyson from round 1 with everything he had when it's pretty obvious just by watching the fight he was hesitant and not looking for the KO. Tyson fans love cherry picking moments that make Tyson look good from his post prison career when it suits their agenda, but if you bring up anything negative they shout "hE wAs PaSt HiS pRiMe".

8. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Tyson's stamina was fine in the 80s. He went the distance with Tucker, Ruddock, Tillis etc, no problems. Post-prison is more debatable given his training habits and most of his fights didn't last that long anyway.

Sangria and WAR01 like this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Truth. Lewis actually did Mike a favor by finally unleashing the big guns in the final two rounds. Mike was hopeless awhile before that, though.

That fight was the first time I felt both sorry for yet admiring of Mike. He did try his hardest, right up to the end. In that way, the fight wasn't dissimilar to what Holmes/Tyson was.

10. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    His stamina was only particularly bad by boxing standards late in his career you don’t win 12 round UD’s with bad stamina.

Sangria and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  11. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    I was quite clearly referring to Tyson after he got out of prison. He never went 12 rounds post 1995 which is the version of Mike this thread is about. His stamina was not that great after prison.

12. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Riddick Bowe by stoppage, remember Iron Mike Tyson would be ring rusty, due to his incarceration, terrorizing the other inmates in the yard does not help keep him in shape, as Bowe was sharp and active. The stoppage would be late, probably in round 12.

13. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Herbie Hide is a funny name.

Sangria likes this.
  14. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    It's just another made up stick to pick to drop Tyson down a peg. His stamina was fine and never a problem unless he didn't train properly, which happens to anyone who doesn't train properly.

RulesMakeItInteresting and WAR01 like this.
  15. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    During the Bowe-Hide fight I couldn't wait for Tyson to come back. These were the best heavyweights the division had to offer? Bowe looked sluggish and Hide was hitting the deck every time Bowe landed a grazing shot, or so it seemed.

But Tyson's first fight out of the clink might be a problem. He needed to fight tough opposition that could last rounds. It was a reason why he fought almost weekly during his first career: he was knocking guys out within 6 minutes and lacked the necessary rounds to move forward against tougher opposition.