Mike Tyson vs Riddick Bowe

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sas6789, Nov 11, 2012.

1. sas6789

sas6789 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Prime Iron Mike vs Riddick Bowe Who wins?

2. grumpy

grumpy Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Both in their primes I gotta go with Bowe. I always thought he was similar to Douglas, only bigger & better. He also maybe the best big man on the inside to. Bowe by ko somewhere around the 8th.

3. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Tyson by KO. Bowe would be far too open for my liking. It's not like he doesn't have a chance, I just heavily favour Tyson in this one.

4. DrBanzai

DrBanzai Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2012
    Tyson would do as he always did when facing a great fighter, he would lose.

5. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

But was Riddick Bowe a great fighter ?

A prime Tyson bulldozes him,imo. Bowe's defence too porous for a 1986-88 'Iron Mike'

6. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Riddicks whole career is based on a win over Holyfield and the rest is Tyson leftovers like Tubbs and Biggs.

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Interesting fight.
    They would both probably suit each other's styles. Tyson would be able to get through with some big booming rights over the top but Bowe would be able to work Tyson over with uppercuts.
    Bowe was a good infighter and could dominate with the jab for short spells too, from the outside, and hook off the jab.
    Tyson was a very good jabber too, and might even out-jab Bowe.
    Bowe had big holes in his defense but he had so much variety in his arsenal that he's get through Tyson's defense quite quickly too.
    They'd be plenty of shots landing on both men.

I'd lean towards a Bowe win, by KO round 8 - 10, because I'd count on him more to get up from KDs and come back. But it could be a Tyson win around the 6 - 10 mark.

8. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    More or less what i think.

But no way is Bowe getting up if Tyson puts him down. Tyson at his best, IMO, is one of the best finishers ever, after Louis.

Bowe CAN do a Douglas, he has the size and skillset, but Bowe wont. Bowe fights too aggressively and i think hell get caught in a bravado type war with Tyson, a bit like Ruddock did. This suits Tyson to a T because he wont have to go running looking for Bowe.

Plus even in fights Bowe won, he got caught a lot, thats one thing you dont want, is getting caught a lot against a guy like Tyson.

Frank Bruno landed more blows on Tyson than his entire previous 36-0 opponents combined.

I dont see Bowes looping right hand working here, but i can see Tysons landing one.

Bowe imo, is not as smart as Holyfiewld or even Lewis.

9. Silver

Silver The Champ is Here Full Member

Jul 16, 2005
    It be an incredible fight. but gotta go with Tyson by ko. Tyson was a bigger puncher, probably better chin. You gotta outbox tyson to beat, not trade with him. More importantly, between the two, tyson seemed more battle tested. Tyson's resume isn't the best but bowe's was even weaker.

10. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Bowe didn't have Busters jab, or quick feet. I'd take Tyson in around 7

11. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I am in the minority in thinking Tyson could potentially take this by decision, had they fought sometime between 1986-1989. For all his short cummings, Riddick was a durable man, and one who met the size perameters of the kind of guys who took Tyson the distance, ie. Tucker, Smith, Green, etc. I think Mike's handspeed, combinations, ability to slip the jab and relentless attacks, when under the training of Kevin Rooney would enable him to out work Bowe on points.

12. JamieC

JamieC Active Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2012
    yep just like the spinks fight. and he was in the middle of his prime against lewis and still lost

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    yeah like Vitali getting TKO6ed against Lewis

14. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Would love to see this fight.

Maybe Mike gets the job done, but one thing for sure, when they close, it's not going to be a waltz, Bowe's going to go to work inside, and I'm not sure if Mike is going to deal with that so well.

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Bowe would try and trade with Tyson eventually and get hammered

No one in history could exchange with a prime Iron Mike Tyson and survive