Mike Tyson vs Sonny Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BoxerFan89, Aug 23, 2015.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Thanks, that's how I see it. The Tyson vs Ruddock rematch. It's all about respect with these two. And I see both respecting the other.

2. uncletermite

uncletermite Boxing Addict banned

Aug 2, 2015

Holmes jab then was still the best of that era so whats your point? Nothing weak about a Pinklon Thomaz jab,even Dundee said he had a better one than Ali or Liston,so again whats your point?

you're comparing 220 Tyson to 190 Patterson?:lol:

You wont give Tyson without Rooney credit for defeating a 6'3 240 monster but you will give credit for Liston beating who exactly ?Patterson couldn't take a punch and was outweighed by 30 pounds practically.:-(

One of Listons old sparring partners saw Ruddock in the gym and said Listons power wasn't even close to what he saw from Ruddock before his Tyson fight!

moneytheman12 likes this.
  3. rusak

rusak Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I don't think Tyson would have too much trouble dealing with Liston's jab because Liston was not a mover and wouldn't be using the kind of lateral movement with the jab that would give Tyson problems. Tyson's main weakness was his lack of an inside game and I don't think Liston would be able to exploit that enough to win. Outside of that, Tyson is too fast and Liston doesn't have the defensive skills to avoid being hit. I think Tyson does his thing on Liston, lands big punches before Liston can land his own, and stops him in a few rounds.

4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I agree Tyson has the edge but I just think when two great intimidators meet they can show the other too much respect. I don't think either guy can produce their best work here. Even on a good night. They won't want to provoke or intimidate each other in the way both did with other guys. I think these kinds of guys instinctively understand one another a bit too much and this can be a very big thing.

There is a reason why Ali went ape in that press conference. He needed to prevent the entire disregard from Liston that always produced Sonnys best work. This is why Sonny liked to provoke tension or concerns with his scary bad ass demeanor and also why Tyson went so far as to bite Lewis's leg. They thrived on a psychological upper hand to create their dominance. But the two together could be a psychological truce.

5. energie

energie Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
  6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Liston was in his prime in 59/60 long before his fights with Clay/Ali, but was kept waiting by Cus D'Amato and the three 1 year trilogy of Patterson/Johannson. Everyday another old time trainer, fighter, etc that knew the real Liston passes away, so most rate Sonny only by his two Ali fights. I've been around boxing for 55 years now and saw the real Liston and believe me and many others that knew him and saw the real Liston and they'll tell you that he was miles ahead of the young Tyson.

Liston knocked out sparring partners with the jab alone, knocked out and sheared off teeth at the gum line and his uppercut would have been perfect for use against Tyson. Just view it as another Foreman/Frazier type fight.

Sonny could box, slip punches and not taking anything away from Tyson. Tyson himself has stated he copied Liston and idolized him and would not have wanted to fight him.

KO stoppage by round 5 Liston wins.

7. FlyingFrenchman

FlyingFrenchman Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Liston started quick in many of his fights but Tyson always started quick and he started quicker. Tyson had better footwork and faster hands. Tyson was also very good at cutting off the ring and he was a great finisher. Tyson was also more elusive. Power? It's debatable, but I'm going with Tyson. Say what you will but Tyson is the only man to KO M. Spinks and the only man to KO Holmes. His KOs over Berbick, Thomas, Tubbs, Bruno, Mathis, Botha, Savarese, and others are impressive. His beating of Golota (later changed to a NC) was brutal. The guy had power. Liston trashed Patterson x2, Folley, and Williams x2- not the biggest or most durable HWs ever but they were still impressive KOs.

Liston had the longer reach and a good jab. Tyson had a short reach and his fight plan was never about trying to out jab his opponent. Tyson's speed and good head movement would help him deal with Liston's jab.

I'll take Tyson.

8. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Wow, what a surprise. You share the same IP address as Hookie. Tyson did not have more power than Liston. You're being biased. You're literally just listing Tyson's advantages and not Liston. Tyson was the only man to ko Spinks because he was the only puncher Spinks fought. Knocking out an ancient Holmes? Wow. What an achievement.
    See the Douglas fight? Liston had the same jab. It was almost identical except Liston's was much harder and worlds better. Add that, and the fact that, like Douglas, Liston would have no fear of Tyson. People always talk of Tyson's bobbing and weaving but they omit the fact that he only did it for a short time of his career and for just a round or two. Nearly everytime a fight went past three rounds, Tyson abandoned his defense abilities. HIs stamina was never good, even during his prime.

9. LouisA

LouisA Active Member Full Member

May 22, 2013
    Liston was strong, but Foreman talking about his strenght doesnt tell me much. George was a kid when they sparred, I doubt that Liston could match strenght with the prime Foreman.

10. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    <br />
    <br />
    This works for me. I watched a couple of Klitschko fights on YouTube today and like most fights the winner seems to be the guy whose jab can land and control distance, tempo, combinations etc. and on that basis l'd pick Sonny.<br />
    <br />
    I think the longer the fight lasts the less chance Tyson has of winning. Basically l'd give Liston about a 55-45% chance of winning. So no huge upset if Tyson pulled it off.

11. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm the baby brother, my brother don't get on here too much. I've said that in the past. Not gonna lie, I did use his username for a month when I was banned a few years back.

12. FlyingFrenchman

FlyingFrenchman Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2011
    This is French, my brother is Hook. We both love boxing, I admit he is the bigger fan. I really am not into on-line forums too much but feel the need to comment every once in a while. We both agree that Quarry and Liston are overrated on this forum and H2H Liston would have destroyed Quarry. Have a great day, see ya. We have to get back to work.

13. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    You mean you created "his" username when you were banned. Why were you banned in the first place?

14. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    I really don't care you guys are always trying to undermine Liston and making him far worse than he actually is.

15. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I lost a bet, don't remember what fight. French is my older brother though... that's his real name. My whole family calls me Hook (not my real name though).

I do pick Liston to win pretty often in these pretend fights... Quarry not so much, has to be a pretty bad HW.