Mike Tyson vs Sonny Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sas6789, Dec 4, 2020.

Mike Tyson vs Sonny Liston

1. Tyson By PTS

5.0%
  2. Tyson By KO/TKO

38.3%
  3. Draw

1.7%
  4. Liston By PTS

1.7%
  5. Liston By KO/TKO

53.3%
  1. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    It takes a chin to take Lewis' right hands whether you're bracing or not.

2. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    He didnt quit in the rematch. Sonny was on his feet fighting when Walcott stopped it.

3. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Tyson had a strong chin but a glass mind. Your a little off on that. If you don't punch you don't leave any openings.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Umm. WHO was the one who quit in their corner ?

RockyJim, Sangria and Johnny_B like this.
  5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Yeah for the whole two minutes that he fought and got dominated

6. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Yea horrible. Who was he fighting? It wasn't Kevin McBride was it?

7. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Who was the one who bit his opponent to avoid another knockout loss?

8. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    A peak Sonny Liston, 1958-1962, was a very hard puncher and a good boxer. He even fought with a fractured jaw in 1954 against Marty Marshall. While I agree that both opponents were very dangerous in their respective era's, their backgrounds have to be looked at. Liston came from the streets of St. Louis, and had been incarcerated during his youth. He was a debt collector for the likes of Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo, those were the role models that he followed. He even put a policeman upside down in a dumpster that was located in an alley in 1957, because the officer called him a derogatory name. Mike Tyson though had a very difficult youth as well, was adopted by the great Cus D Amato, who took him under his wing. In this bout, Mike would not attempt to intimidate Sonny, who usually did the intimidating with his cold stoic stare. Mike would approach Liston with caution, bobbing and weaving in his peek a boo style. Liston would utilize his 84 inch reach, the pole like left jab to keep Tyson at bay. There would be some fierce exchanges during this match, both hurting the other but I believe that Sonny who has gone the distance before catches an exhausted Mike Tyson in round 10 with his 14 inch fist left hook, sending Mike to the canvas, he will rise but will be defenseless, forcing a stoppage ny the referee. This fight would not be one sided by any means, as both are capable of stopping the other during the bout.

9. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I love the prime of both these fighters. Let's face it, both guys had extremely flawed careers for different reasons post prime.

We all know that Sonny was controlled by the mob and that the 2nd Ali fight was not legit. I do think he underestimated Ali in the first fight and was soundly beaten just as Tyson underestimated Buster Douglas.

If we are talking the best versions of both of these guys before Mob, drugs, Alcohol, prison, age, etc. It's a pretty tough fight to call that truly comes down to one thing. Can Tyson and his superior speed get past Liston and his 84 inch jab?

I personally thinks Tyson has his moments early but let's not forgot how strong and tough prime Liston was. I think he gets through those moments all the while landing that brutal stiff jab and as the fight goes on, Tyson start to wear down. I see Sonny stopping him late but I don't begrudge anyone that thinks Tyson wins this. He was that explosive in his prime and had a significant speed advantage. I just like Liston's steadiness and jab a little more.

10. AwardedSteak863

Aug 16, 2018
  11. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    This is so true, President Kennedy told Floyd Patterson in 1962, that he better beat Sonny Liston because if Liston won, which he did, he would be a poor example for the youth of America. So even the President Of The United States was against Sonny.

12. AwardedSteak863

Aug 16, 2018
    One of the saddest scenes in that documentary on him is whenhe wins the title and he is expecting people to greet him at the airport with a celebration, only to see no one there. He knew he would never be accepted by anyone except the mob.

Have you ever read this? I find this fascinating since Foreman fought both the tale end of Liston's era and in Tyson's. It's pretty clear how he feels about Sonny.

From George--Sparring with Liston is the most dangerous thing that I ever did in my entire life. As I said earlier, no matter what I tried against him, it was me who had to revert back to boxing. Nobody made me box like Sonny Liston did and that happened every time we worked together. He taught me many things, including the importance of the jab. I just couldn’t get mine straight and every day he had me working on it. There were times when he could have knocked my head off but he didn’t because we were pretty good friends. I saw the way he stared at people and I took on some of that behavior to intimidate opponents. That was where some of that “Bad George” came from, hanging around with Sonny.

13. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Their was a fantasy heavyweight tournament a couple years back, which had multiple expert analysis on each matchup. Liston VS Tyson was one of them. (I believe one of the analysis was the one you quoted above). Will try to find it.

14. The Slaps

The Slaps Win or lose, as long as you get the decision Full Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Stylistically I think Sonny is wrong for Tyson. I fancy prime Tyson to get under and inside the jab of prime Holmes, Wlad or Lewis. But Sonny is a similar height and that jab is coming straight across. I think Sonny's powerful long jab will demoralize Tyson after a couple of rounds of getting pounded at long range. Tyson still has a chance of a KO though.

RockyJim and swagdelfadeel like this.
  15. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    I’m a Liston fan but Tyson is too fast and explosive for him

moneytheman12 likes this.