Mike Tyson vs. Tim Witherspoon

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Melankomas, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Yeah ,I don't like that version of Tim against Tyson either, but the 83 Spoon would be a big tussle

2. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Peak Mike Tyson vs. Peak Tim Witherspoon; Mike Tyson wins.

3. Andrew Dickson

Andrew Dickson New Member Full Member

May 18, 2023
    Just watched Tim vs Mike Williams a good up and coming fighter in 87. Tim boxed very well and nearly stopped Williams in the 1st eventually winning a decision. Tim was in good shape 217 pounds.

Tim would have put up a great challenge against prime Mike Tyson in 87.
    Probably would go to a decision.

4. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You're strong as an ox. Even Foreman can't move you around the ring

5. dawnofthedead

dawnofthedead Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2014
    I liked Witherspoon, he was a good fighter but feel he would have been made to order for Tyson on & around that period.
    Figure Tim comes to fight & looks to pressure Tyson, suicidal tactics but that was how he fought, coming forward & runs into one too many as a result of & is knocked out inside 6, being the likeliest of scenarios.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta and Contro like this.
  6. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    I personally dont think you can beat mike tyson with the philly shell or a cross guard variant the way witherspoon would try.
    The punches come too quick from both sides, all possible angles, tyson could double up on a combination quickly with either hand. You misstime a single roll with the philly shell/grossguard and its good night from a punch you dont see

7. Andrew Dickson

Andrew Dickson New Member Full Member

May 18, 2023
    Thanks for that. Thing is Tim never got the big paydays like Tyson and other top boxers got - he was getting mismanaged and distracted constantly. Can you imagine Tim getting a million dollar plus payday and the sort of shape he would be in - mentally and physical.
    It would be a war Tim vs Mike - Tims going to be jabbing, blocking, slipping - Mike is on the attack with those fast combinations and throwing lots of uppercuts.

Mikes advantage would have been speed and power plus hes good defensively and durable.
    Tim has the height and reach advantage and is a good boxer with a powerful right hand, good jab and excellent defensive awkward style

Tyson has to be the favourite for a win but best shape ever Tim isnt going to be easy.
    Mike may have to settle for comfortable points win.

Contro likes this.