Mike Tyson - What a bizarre individual

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Words, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Words

Words Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 21, 2007
    I could've posted this in the general forum, or even the lounge, but I think its probably best being off in here. I dont post here often but I understand its a good standard of debate.

Firstly I saw this Mike Tyson highlight clip on YouTube, and there was a part where Mike says at a press conference that the media's children and grandchildren will still be talking about him, saying "wow wasn't that a bizarre individual?" Thats a very self-deprecating-but-true thing to say. Mike Tyson is the most written about, talked about and media saturated ex-boxer anywhere in the world. There are fan-sites out there that document the food he eats in jail and what he's currently reading. This being the case, and considering he's retired, I reckon here is the best place to post it.

Secondly, I read this well-known group interview that Tyson did before the Lennox Lewis fight, yknow the one where he tries it on with that female journalist? And everyone knows that bit, but I read through the last bit and Mike's thoughts on Jesus, and actually it was very profound and intelligent.

Here it is from ESPN http://espn.go.com/boxing/news/2002/0503/1377497.html

The bit in bold is very interesting, and it was the second time in one day that I'd found myself in agreement. That provoked me into doing this.

We've all got a good idea of Tyson the boxer; ferocious power, head-movement, handspeed and technique. Everything. The complete fighter. Between 1985-1991 he was the most vicious champion I've ever seen. Probably the only Heavyweight boxer who was P4P No.1 aswell undisputed Heavyweight champion. On all boxing forums "prime Tyson" is mythical figure that competes with legends like Sonny Liston, Rocky Marciano, Muhammed Ali, Joe Frazier and Jack Dempsey in hypothetical matchups. He was the last of the old-school, a nightmare throwback from the 1920's era, someone who left world-champion boxers trembling before a punch had even been thrown. He went to pieces psychologically after the death of Cus D'Amato, lost to Buster Douglas, went to prison for three years, and was never the same again. His style of fighting never lasts long. Marciano and Frazier were done by the age of 31. David Tua cant even begin to match the intensity he fought with in his 20's. Short stocky Heavyweights have short explosive careers. After all, Lennox Lews was older than Tyson when they fought, but Lewis was considered prime and Tyson borderline shot.

But aside from that, what about Tyson as an individual. Surely he is one of the most charismatic boxers who's ever lived. Where does he rank in terms of sheer entertainment and drama? Just how crazy is he anyway? I dont think even Muhammed Ali was as quotable as Mike Tyson. Mike has said some of the craziest things I've ever heard, but he's also come out with some insightful and interesting stuff, just the media has tended to focus on eating children and so on. What else has he said thats worth posting here for posterity.

2. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Hardcore......to the max! Full Member

Jun 17, 2007
    You just noticed? :rofl

3. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

Among all that bit about fornicating and drinking he manages to say, "I'm a muslim". LOL.

4. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai 3 year ESB vet. Full Member

Aug 18, 2005
    He has never understood that with journalists you dont talk about just anything. He has never understood what an appropriate public image means.

5. yancey

yancey Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Tyson is one of the most unsettling characters in the history of sports.