Mike Tyson win over Larry Holmes was underrated here is why...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Tyson Fury Goat, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Tyson Fury Goat

Tyson Fury Goat Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 21, 2017
    This was Tyson at his prime wanting to get revenge for Ali......

Larry won 7 heavyweight fights after he got knocked out and in his 8th fight after getting knocked out by tyson he went UD with evander and many had Holmes winning at worst put up a very good fight after evander he won 14 heavyweight fights

so intotal he won 22 fights after he got sparked by tyson he was far from shot when he fought Tyson

Mike was just at his best and the only person to knock out Larry holmes

2. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    No it wasn't. Holmes was coming off two defeats to Michael Spinks and hadn't fought in nearly 2 years.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  3. Tyson Fury Goat

Apr 21, 2017
    wrong he lost to spinks 2 times

4. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012

No... the problem with this attempt to justify him is just going by a number of wins. Holmes was done

Dance84 likes this.
  5. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Whoops my bad!

6. Tyson Fury Goat

Apr 21, 2017
    was he more done then ali when holmes stopped him? ali couldnt even touch his finger on his nose

holmes was not done

7. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Holmes was past his best and in post fight interview Mike Tyson himself a historian of sport said had it been when Larry was at his best he Tyson won’t have stood a chance as Larry Holmes is a legendary fighter.

8. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Larry looked slow and rusty that night, anyone could see it but, to be fair, Tyson was exceptionally quick and clinical. It was a fine performance by Tyson, just a shame it didn't come against somebody younger and more competitive.

Perkin Warbeck and Reinhardt like this.
  9. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum We really outchere. Full Member

Mar 20, 2020
    I think it's a win that is for sure diminished by some people, but I think most would say that it was a good win, and probably in Tysons top 5 wins.

I think the argument is whether it qualifies as a great win, it definitely does not.

10. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Holmes was old and coming off a two year layoff where he was basically retired, not even in the gym.
    …….but even if that weren't so, the one thing aging fighters have issues against is combating speed, what was
    worse for Holmes was that in Tyson he was combating speed and explosiveness. To combat that you have to be at the very top of your game and Holmes just was not.

11. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Though I doubt Tyson himself believed that at the moment he said it, it was the damn truth!

12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Laughable statement.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  13. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    larry had no business in a boxing ring that night

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Everyone knows Holmes defeated Spinks the second time and was advised to not fight him the first time because of a bad rotator cuff injury which is why he was basically a one handed fighter in the first fight .

Perkin Warbeck and Chuck Norris like this.
  15. Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Holmes was actually out of boxing under 2 years but either way M.Tyson would have beat anyone that night with the current active or inactive fighters roster of that time , Holmes would never had the power to keep Mike off him ,I didn’t go through the comments but he also promised Ali a win .

Perkin Warbeck likes this.