MMA: Drifting away from its original purpose?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I agree Cross Trainer, we could see more styles. The current crop of styles are dominant because they have evolved because of their success in the sport, BJJ specifically, which is an effective style as well as Sambo and catch wrestling, then kickboxing for striking. I'd also like to see some true masterful Judoka's cross train in some other styles that would at least give them enough defence against hybrid styles, that would be fantastic.

Cung Le may or may not do well at a higher level, but from what I have observed so far, his style can in fact be very effective in MMA, he does too many stupid moves to please the crowd, if he went into a bare bones effective version, he may have success, because he has a very competant takedown D.

Styles like Taijutsu would be extremely effective, but they need to be worked on becoming suited for MMA rules.

I think we'll see more styles emerging, it will help the sport evolve even more.

2. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Not to mention, the original UFC days were partly used for the Gracie's to sell BJJ to the world. What would have happened to Royce Gracie in the early events had he faced a...

Let's just use San Shou again since it utilises grappling as well...

A competant San Shou practicioner, he'd have been destroyed. Keith Hackney gave him a decent fight while it lasted.

Those styles were extremely selected to be tailor made for BJJ, and the fighters pretty average, including Ken Shamrock. Now, this isn't to say that Rickson Gracie wouldn't have blown out a competant style that uses grappling and striking, because despite him being a comfort zone ****, he was very good and would have annihilated the early fighters...

But they surely sold BJJ, even though I think traditional Jujutsu is just as effective, if not more when used in cross training.

3. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    As if on cue...

Just found this show, watched the first episode, and liked it. These fellows (MMA guy with a 16-4 record and a former All-American wrestler and football player) go around the world fighting opponents in their own disciplines, under their own rules:

http://www.history.com/minisites/humanweapon

Hardly the same as champion vs. champion, but it's still a neat little show.

4. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Shamrock was pretty good....Severn was quite qualified, as was Ichihara (judo + kyokushin Daido Juku champion). Pardoel may have been a good opponent as well, and Pat Smith won the Sabaki Challenge, which is quite reputable (though a striking based tournament, admittedly)

They were a bit selective, but the competition was pretty good considering the entrants they had to work with.

5. younghypnotiq

younghypnotiq Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2007
    arent elbows illegal in UFC?

6. younghypnotiq

Apr 23, 2007
    im almost 100% taht downward elbow strikes are illegal

7. younghypnotiq

Apr 23, 2007
    i think the reaspon the rule is there is so there are no "rabbit elbows" lol which could probably kill someone easier then the other strikes

8. St00

St00 New Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2018
  9. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Quite annoyed the way they matched Mark Hunt for his next fight vs another ground guy after fighting Blades last time, i want to see him in we another banger

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Oneirokritis likes this.
  10. St00

Aug 24, 2018
    Blades or Huntuu?

Did you read the OP?

11. sjp17

Apr 22, 2011
    Yeah i read it

Just posted my feelings on Hunts next fight, since hes near the end i want to see him going toe to toe n throwing shots not defending takes downs or lying on his back getting submitted, i want to see him knocking some **** out !

12. St00

Aug 24, 2018
    This makes me sad

13. sjp17

Apr 22, 2011
    Why ?

14. St00

Aug 24, 2018
    OP asked an honest question

15. sjp17

Apr 22, 2011
    I know, who cares anyway, it is what it is, the sport sucks at the moment with all the cheats in it