MMA Fighters learn to box differently

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Vic-JofreBRASIL, Oct 31, 2023.

1. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Ya, this is a ridiculous post.

We aren't talking the amatures.

The top levels of professional boxing have a wide variety of different styles.

2. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016

Yes, but most fighters get the basis of their style in the amateurs. In MMA this is totally different, were fighters usually come from another martial art and then need to find their own way of integrating it into their own mma style. This is naturally going to create more diversity among them.

3. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    fury has a great job, good head movement, good feet. Just shows you these so called fundamentals aren't as important as boxing purist would want you to believe.

4. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    This is true to a point, but things diverge quite quickly once a professional.

AJ, Joyce, Wilder, Uysk, Fury all have wildly different styles.

And if we are talking just punching, and not fighting in general, boxing actually allows for more style diversity in punching because many fighting styles that someone can use in boxing, aren't effective in mma (winky wright style of just upright pressuring behind a high guard, james toney shoulder rolling and countering off of the ropes. Ect) , so those potential styles get eliminated from consideration, narrowing diversity.

If we are only talking punching styles.

So no I don't think there's much of a basis for saying boxing doesn't have wide variety of styles or its being held captive, stylistically. And if mma does have more diversity in its striking, it's much more due to the nature of the sport being multi factleted (elbows, kicks, knees, wrestling) than a mentality or cultural issue.

As far as pure punching goes, I don't buy that mma is more stylistically varied than boxing.

Samart'sTeep likes this.
  5. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Floyd did not know what to do with Conor's style. Period. Once he figured the guy out he made easy work even though he couldn't put the guy away not really it was a guy that was super tired and ****....

6. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016

I do oppose that, there is at least the same amount of variety, just look at strickland, pereira, mcgregor and GSP. Each and everyone completely different

7. TMLT87

TMLT87 Active Member Full Member

Feb 21, 2021
    I dont think Floyd "carried" Conor exactly. I think it was more that he was cautious in the early rounds because he was in with a younger, stronger guy who was an unknown quantity and completely fresh. Once he knew what he was dealing with and Conor had emptied his tank enough Floyd started turning things up. Even then it took Floyd a while to put Conor away, and its not like it was some brutal stoppage either, Conor never touched the canvas. All in all it wasnt really a great look, although Fury/Ngannou was much, much worse.