Modern Day Weight Bullying

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Not everyone can drop 20lbs or more like Chavez Jr. could.

2. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Lopez is interesting because yes he's a weight bully if ever there was one (I don't like the term myself) but he's using it to fight higher level competition.

If you make good, competitive early career fights I don't really care how it's done.

Showstopper97 likes this.
  3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Not everyone can punch as quick as Gary Russell Jr neither.

KO KIDD likes this.
  4. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    But they clearly have made weight safely, otherwise they wouldn't be able to go into the ring and compete with the best in the world.

Why should they move up if they can make the same weight as their opponent? Nonsense.

KO KIDD likes this.
  5. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    Yes, but we have weightclasses for a reason. We don't have speed classes.

6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Exactly my point. We have weight classes for a reason, so if you can make the weight, fair play to you.

KO KIDD likes this.
  7. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Dustin Nichols vs Deontay Wilder.

8. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Exactly, if someone moves up a division and loses even, though I guess it does have an impact, they can't then cry and make excuses for that loss.

Look man, you took the fight and knew you were facing someone naturally bigger. If you had won the fight you would be lauded for this and it would enhance your legacy but you lost!

9. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Exactly, its a shot at greatness.

If you win you are great. If you lose, stay in the lower class.

Wass1985 and KO KIDD like this.
  10. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    I'm not talking about fighters that have moved up, got comfortable with the weight, and challenge the top opposition in higher weight classes. I'm talking about guys that deliberately hand-pick fighters (who are usually low-tier) from lower weight classss to come up & fight them. Tank & Charlo at 160 are especially guilty of this. Maybe I should have made that clearer in the thread.

11. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    No, hand picking smaller fighters only works if the smaller fighters are willing to face them.

Ultimately its their choice to take the fight or not.

Brook never had to face Golovkin, but he knew the risk was worth the reward.

If anything the guy in the bigger weight class is in a lose - lose situation.

Golovkin beats Brook, who cares. He's just another WW who couldn't make the jump.

Golovkin loses to Brook, suddenly he doesn't look like a great MW any more.

KO KIDD likes this.
  12. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    It's a great spectacle to see the guy from the lower weight goes up above his weight class etc. But it usually doesn't go well for a fighter moving up. Whilst i agree that it's a fighter choice.

I don't think the bigger fighter gets credit for it or should it be appreciated. It should be looked down on. Tank already has two strikes to his name. HE DRAGS one more lower weight boxer up.

Then he is definitely has issues facing fighters in his natural weight.Why doesn't he fight someone at lightweight? I remember Leo was a bantamweight. Could you imagine Garcia or Teo fighting Leo g'damn Santa Cruz?

Lord have mercy that is shameful.

Showstopper97 likes this.
  13. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    No, the idea behind weight classes is that guys similar in weight face each other.
    The day before weigh in was implimented so for safety reasons.
    It has backfired because now some can cheat the system.

14. Showstopper97

Oct 7, 2020
    Exactly. That's my point. I don't have a problem with fighters facing smaller guys that have moved up - but when you make a career out of it & especially when you pick fighters we've never heard of (cough cough Tank) or have name recognition, but have never fought in that weight class (cough cough Tank again).

15. Showstopper97

Oct 7, 2020
    Yep