Modern Day Weight Bullying

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Showstopper97, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Exactly. That's my point. I don't have a problem with fighters facing smaller guys that have moved up - but when you make a career out of it & especially when you pick fighters we've never heard of (cough cough Tank) or have name recognition, but have never fought in that weight class (cough cough Tank again).

2. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Yep

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I honestly don't get your problem. If someone can make the weight, they fight at that weight. If someone cannot make the weight, they fight at a different weight.

Cutting weight has always been something boxers do, it's part of the system.

If on a given day two men can weigh the same weight, then all is fair.

4. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    What is not fair is that one man is 20+lbs heavier on fight night than he was the day before.
    It defeats the whole purpouse of having a weightclass.
    I would be on board with you if we had the same day weigh-ins.

greynotsoold and Robney like this.
  5. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Definitely!
    The whole defence of heving prior day weigh-ins (health danger for the weightcutting fighter) already falls flat now that it's clear that most boxers use that to be able to cut even more weight, towards an even lower weightclass. Making it more dangerous for the people they're fighting, who didn't take the risk themselves. The good guys have to suffer the rules favoring the bad ones.

greynotsoold and Badbot like this.
  6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I'd prefer same day weigh ins, but the reality is you still have the boxers cutting down and rehydrating in a shorter window.

Every boxer has the opportunity to cut and regain weight.

It's a level playing field.

No MW went into a fight with Chavez Jr surprised at his fight night weight, they knew going in. They still took the fight.

Andy Lee knew exactly what he was getting into and went for the fight anyway. He could have gained more weight himself if he wanted, but he didn't.

That's life.

7. im sparticus

im sparticus He's a good kid. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    But it's hard to argue against some fighters rehydrating to two weight divisions above their opponents. And using that as an advantage. But I suppose it's the system that's flawed more so than the fighters

Badbot likes this.
  8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    That's the choice they can all make. Some fighters prefer to spend their camp training, some prefer spending it on weight management.

If both can make the weight, that's completely fair.

If one fighter doesn't want to fight someone because they're scared they will gain weight after the weigh in, then they can feel free to duck them.

9. im sparticus

im sparticus He's a good kid. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Not sure if call it "scared"
    If one fighter is sensible and doesn't take the risk of dehydrating himself cos there's a risk of long term damage and doesnt want to give an advantage to a fighter who's prepared to risk his health so that he can come in 2 divisions higher seems a better way of describing it.

Showstopper97 likes this.
  10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    That sums it up perfectly. Risk vs advantage. That's what cutting is.

But look at the outcry every time Canelo asks for a rehydration clause.

KO KIDD and im sparticus like this.
  11. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Fact is on a given day at a given time you must make weight, what is the issue?

If a fighter rehydrates to heavier weight so be it, no fighter who feels their opponent is a weight bully has to fight them.

The rehydration restriction clause in some contracts i personally am not a fan of, make weight on the scales job done i say.

From a physiological aspect dehydrating to then rehydrate is not putting the body in best fighting state, but guess it will continue.

12. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Made up term

KO KIDD likes this.
  13. northpaw

northpaw Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    This still rings true...........

14. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    But then you have folk that have done that yet still lost and the excuse is making weight as turned them in to a zombie.

15. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    You claim GGG is a weight bully but not Canelo? What a clown you are.
    Canelo literally ducked GGG to fight Khan for the MW championship. It was a disgrace of epic proportions.
    GGG only fought Brook because Eubank Jr. pulled out and they needed a fill in for the UK. The fight they wanted was Eubank Jr., who is bigger than Golovkin. And Brook is bigger than Khan and weighed the same as Golovkin in the ring.